30: A Moment Of Rest

Song: Vapour by Vancouver Sleep Clinic. Play song now.

The bus is quiet, and I fight to keep my crying to myself. What have I done?

I put my head in my hands. I just got kicked out of the house. Fully kicked out. Like, I'm not even welcome in the house at all, so I can kiss my belongings goodbye. All I've got left is either in my bag, or at my apartment. My apartment that my parents were paying rent for. Are they going to sever that tie too? Are they going to stop funding? What about tuition? Are they really about to drop me so completely and just like that?

All because I'm leaving their church? Because I'm gay?

~

I knock on Caleb's door. No answer. I rest my head on the door, heavy from exhaustion. I knock one last time, letting my hand slide down. It's fine that he's not home, it just feels like... like he's abandoned me just like everyone else. I feel lost. I don't know where to go.

I peel myself off the door, and pick up my bag again. Might as well take my stuff to the apartment. I need to find a job anyway. The sooner I start looking for places with openings, the better.

I had hardly even turned all the way when the door opens. I look back up to see Kel standing in the doorway.

"You?" I ask, bewildered by the sight of his frosted tips.

"Why are you here?" He asks, a sneer creeping onto his face.

My expression falls. "Uh, sorry. I thought Caleb lived here. Didn't mean to bother."

His face immediately softens. "Murdock... you didn't insult me. What the hell happened to you?"

I keep my eyes on the ground. "Nothing. Do you know where Caleb lives?"

"He's my roommate dumbass." He sighs, making me look up at him. "Come on inside, he'll be back soon."

He opens the door wide, then disappears inside. I hesitantly step over the threshold. How do I even know that Caleb lives here at all? What if Kel is lying to me, and trying to kidnap me or something?

No, he wouldn't. He's my rival, and therefore my enemy... but I dunno, I trust him.

I set my bag down next to my shoes, and close the door behind me. I wander into the spacious kitchen, and Kel sets a bowl on the counter.

"Cereal in the pantry, milk in the fridge. I'm gonna be playing video games, so... keep it quiet in here." He says, heading to the door.

"Thank you." I say in a small voice.

He pauses in the door way, and looks over his shoulder. "Don't thank me. Ever." Then he disappears.

That's the same thing he said the day he came out to me. What is this guys deal anyway?

After I finish my bowl of cereal, and clean the dishes, I go to Caleb's room to wait for him. I figured it would be better to have a private conversation somewhere that there's no chance of roommates overhearing.

I remember Caleb telling me that he doesn't share a room with anyone, but I never imagined his room would be this big. It's spacious, and there's plenty of floor space despite his small heap of clothes spilling out of the closet. An entire side of the room is dedicated to a long desk and multiple shelves, cluttered with miscellaneous wires and tubs of tools.

Everything smells like him. It's stronger here than that shirt he gave me, and puts me under the same spell.

I stare down at my feet, cold and bare little toes. What am I going to do now? I've got nothing left. All I have is my apartment, my college, and a handful of friends left. But I don't even know how long those will last.