First Choice

First Choice

Words: 922

You: rp?

Stranger: Sure!

You: ok :)

You: du wanna start?

Stranger: ok :)

You: :)

Stranger: "So..you slept with Cat then.." Dan’s voice was numb, his heart quiet obviously broken, "I mean…it’s none of my business but…I thought you two were mates you know? You always say how friends shouldn’t sleep with friends because it’d make it weird but..you’ve done this?" He looked up at Phil, twiddling his thumbs and chewing his lip, "I mean…you basically promised me you wouldn’t and you did anyway? She’s one of my best friends and you slept with her?" (reply as Phil)

You: "I don't know why you're so upset about it Dan. It's not like we're together or anything!" Phil replied, pissed off. They had been having this argument most of the evening and now Dan was bringing it back up again. "Besides, I've already told you, it was a mistake. We were both drunk." Phil sighed, clearly tired of arguing with his friend. "Dan, can we please just relax now? I don't understand why you're so upset. Do you fancy her or something?" Phil asked, a little bitter near the end. Okay, so maybe he liked Dan and last night may have been a drunk attempt to get over him ...

Stranger: "Cat? How could you ask if I fancy her? Sure, she's my best friend but she's just that! Not my type! And Phil, when has being drunk been an excuse, huh?" Dan hissed.

You: "Dan! Calm down! I still don't understand why your so pissed off. What is the real problem? Are you honestly upset that I slept with her or is there something else?" Phil finally snapped.

Stranger: "I'm upset that you broke your promise to me." Dan whispered.

You: "What promise?" Phil asked suspiciously.

Stranger: "That you wouldn't sleep with her!"

You: "I don't remember promising that!" Phil argued.

Stranger: "You did. You promised that you wouldn't sleep with any of our best friends!"

You: "Why do you keep this argument on a loop? So what if I slept with her, I TOLD YOU IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! Why do you keep going? Can't you just tell me why you're REALLY angry?" Phil asked in exasperation.

Stranger: "Phil..." Dan whispered, running a hand through his hair. "I was jealous ok. I was fucking jealous."

You: Phil's eyes widened in surprise. At first he hoped Dan meant that he liked Phil but he immediately got rid of those thoughts. Dan would never like Phil. Phil felt his own jealousy. "Oh." He replied, glaring at the floor. "So ... you like cat?"

Stranger: "No." Dan whispered, "I was jealous because I'm always second best in everything. I thought I was your first choice in everything. It's not even the bloody sex!"

You: Phil's heart beat accelerated. He was literally gobsmacked. "You ..." but he trailed off not knowing what to say. He was shocked, yes, but he was also over the moon. So Dan, DID like him? He tried again but his brain wouldn't let him utter an intelligent word.

Stranger: "I'm not your first choice. Of course I'm not."

You: "Dan-" Phil tried but Dan continued to rant.

Stranger: "Phil, am I your first choice?" Dan whispered.

You: "Well ... yeah. I j-just I'm not- I um-" In what? For sex? Definitely. For a relationship? Of course. As a best friend? Absolutely.

Stranger: "It's just... if I was why would you sleep with her?"

You: Phil sighed "Fine ... FINE! I slept with her to get over you!" Phil admitted. He advanced on Dan, speaking with every step. "I have had feelings for you since we first met and I REALLY fucking love you and just the thought of you rejecting me and not loving me back just pushed me further away! I wasn't entirely drunk and if I was I'd definitely have chosen you but I was trying to get over youbecause I knew you'd never like me back!" Phil breathed, now only a few centimeters from Dan.

Stranger: "Fuck, Phil. You could have just told me." Dan whispered, tears rolling down his cheeks.

You: Phil sighed, resting his forehead against Dan's. "I told you why I couldn't Dan. I didn't want to lose you, you're too important."

Stranger: "P-Phil, the way you just told me I might as well leave you because you're scaring me!"

You: Phil's eyes widened. "Scaring you?" Phil asked, taking a step back.

Stranger: "Y-yeah." Dan whispered, shaking.

You: "I never wanted to hurt you Dan ... I love you." Phil whispered.

Stranger: "Are you sure? Because you don't just threaten those you love."

You: "What are you talking about?" Phil asked, confused.

Stranger: "It felt like you were threatening me, advancing like that."

You: Phil sighed, "Look I'm sorry for scaring you ... just say the word and I'll leave. Clearly you don't want me here. I'm sorry for everything. I thought ..." Phil trailed off, tears threatening to spill.

Stranger: "Stay." Dan whispered.

You: "Why? I only mess things up!" Phil exclaimed, sitting on the couch and covering his face with his hands.

Stranger: "Philip, just sh. Please."

You: Phil didn't say anything else, he just looked at Dan. He didn't want to do or say anything else in case he did something else wrong.

Stranger: Dan walked over to Phil and hugged him.

You: Phil gladly accepted the embrace, snuggling into the crook of Dan's neck. "I really do love you." Phil sighed.

Stranger: "I do too."