Chapter 1

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Well, aside from my Inang's loud voice, I am awakened by the chirping of the birds from outside the window and the morning light. I guess it's that time of the year. For eight years now, I dream of a boy, maybe as old as me now. Yet all those years, I am still fumbling in the dark. What does it imply? Why am I seeing those? And better yet, why me? Or maybe that boy is me, and the anitus are cursing me. Perhaps, I am just imagining things. Besides, atop those questions, I have now in my plate an enraged Inang, upset that her son rises up late.

"Venandi, it is your first day of school today and here you are, still lying on the bed." Inang scolds me as she cleans herself, removing the bandana wrapped on her head. She is always this strict. "You are expected to be more responsible by now. At this time, you should be at school! You must remember what I always say, 'The early bird catches the worm.' You are already eight years old!" She shouts, almost flipping me upside down. "And what did I tell you about having a tattoo already? It is our pride to have one in as early as your age!"

I only smile at her outbursts. "But the second mouse gets the cheese." I reply to which she only roll her eyes at. I laugh. Inang may be strict, but she's a loving mother.

Oh, yeah. It's my first day of school.

Children from Tribo Katipunan walk to Sangguniang Kabataan, a school in the tribe where we are taught the basics. I walk from the southwest part of Tribo Katipunan near the forest, and together with me are children my age. I hope nothing goes wrong on my first day.

Since children like me don't know what our magics are yet, we are mixed as a heterogenous class, and we're called the Electus.

Everyone settles down as soon as the guru enters the tectum, the room where the Electus are found learning. Every step from him radiates superiority and intimidation. He eyes the rest of everyone in the room and heaves out a sigh. "Let's get on with our first lesson. Does anyone of you here know anything about the anitus?"

Some dare to raise their hand, but guru answers his own question. "The anitus are who we pray to. We worship and prove our devotion to them so they could bless us with magic in return. It is a cycle, you see. For them to continue giving blessings, we must not tire of showing our gratitude towards them." He stops talking, and a random kid asks, "What happens when we displease the anitus? Do they ever get angry?"

Guru smiles at him and replies, "If I refuse to answer that question of yours, what will be your reaction?" He then starts to laugh at his own remark. "This group of Electus feels constrained! What are you afraid of? You are here to learn! Lighten up a bit." After he laughs, he introduces himself to be Guru Diwa. "The magic the anitus bless us with are mainly used for fighting and self-defense, but there are multitude of uses. The reason you are here is because you need to be introduced to the world of combat first. Different gurus will teach you various techniques. Mastering combat skills will be quite useful for all of you when you reach the right age, and the day of impressing the Lakan comes. Of course, by then, you will be training on your specified magical elements, which we will know later this day as we do the screening of your test.

"However, don't feel proud yet. You being here does not guarantee yourself of eventually having the strongest magic. It will depend on how fast you learn, how well you adapt, how cunning you can be, and how strategic you can get. If you have already developed an original skill unique to you, then that will become handy sooner or later. Magic is not all, remember that. The one who bears it must learn first how to use, control, and enhance it to one's favor. But worry not as people who are not apt for the world of mages end up in other fields as well, such as farming, hunting, gathering, fishing, and even in architecture! Well, I must say, mage or not, everyone in the village plays vital roles in maintaining the hierarchy."