Chapter 4

THE TAMER 

"Inang! You’re here early. Did something happen at the market?”

Another usual summer morning for all of us, but we have no classes today. Before, we have at least once a week of day off from our training, but since it’s summer, I am always left in the house with Liksi every time Inang goes to the market. Usually, it takes her almost half a day there, so I am wondering why she’s home early. “Oh, something of unknown reason happened at the market! All the goods that are to be transported by wagons to other tribos are all wrecked! I asked around and some say that it’s been already two weeks since the transport of goods stopped and the foods here in our tribo are getting scarcer as we speak. It is guessed to be done by an animal so big, like a bear, maybe? Otherwise, how could even the wagons so heavy be flipped? It isn’t like some people would purposefully sabotage the transports. It is a really important operation among the tribos to keep the village alive. And some goods are even missing!”

Liksi and I look at each other as soon as mother finishes her rant. An animal so big? Like a bear? Since Tribo Katipunan is located just at the edge of the forest, it is not a news, but bears attacking the tribo is quite… new.

“So, Venandi, you better stay away from the forest. If it is really a bear, then it must be still near our tribo, and they are perilous to deal with. Better to keep ourselves safe than to be sorry later. Who knows if they attack people sooner or later? If you keep being stubborn, then it won’t be long until you’re devoured by whatever attacked our goods. Understood?”

“Ah, Inang, what do you take me for? A weakling?” Liksi and I start to laugh but Inang did not. “Hehe. I understand, Inang. We’ll stay out of the forest. Right, Liksi?” Liksi agreed.

"You better, or I’ll be the one you’ll have to deal with.”

***

Here comes the evening. Of course, I am stubborn as what Inang said, and being stubborn means not listening to any warning. Well, there’s another one who’s as stubborn as me. Who else? “Liksi, are you ready?”

But he glares at me. What did I do wrong? “Ha, you really are stubborn! What did your mother tell you? You should respect her by at least obeying her. It’s still dangerous with whatever it is still unleashed and will probably be in the forest!”

See? Another stubborn being. “Come on, Liksi! Don’t you want to test out our strength? I mean, this is one of those moments that we’ve been training for during the months that passed! If we ever come across with that bear or whatever animal that may be, it’s going to be a real fight. A real fight, Liksi! Are you not curious of how strong we have become? This is the perfect opportunity! Besides, that animal is causing a great trouble in our tribo, so it is only reasonable that we get rid of it. We are even doing the tribo a big favor! Don’t you see it? It’s a win-win situation for us. We get to test out our strength and the tribo will be safe again! Don’t be stubborn now.”

“No, you are the one that needs to listen to me! It’s not like those words are mine. Those are your Inang’s! I don’t think you understand well what’s a ‘win-win’, Venandi. We could die there, you dimwit!” He shouts back. “Oh, you know what? I know you wouldn’t listen to me, anyway. You are even disobeying your Inang.” He stares at me for a moment and I stare at him back. “What? I thought we’re going to the forest! Why are you standing frozen there? Come on!” Ha, and he gives in!

Later, we are in the forest, heading to nowhere exactly. I mean, what should we do aside from walking until we come across the culprit? Shout at the top of our lungs? Personally, I wouldn’t want Inang to find out that we have disobeyed her. I’d rather face a bear than face her wrath. She's scary when angry, and I don’t want to witness it any time sooner or later. Right now, we are basically preoccupied walking than finding the bear or whatever we were here for.