Chapter 3

LIKSI

Every day is on repeat. I wake up to go to school, only to watch them practice their elemental magic in the morning, and of course, at lunch break, they bully me while I eat. Thinking about it now, I barely get to eat my lunch. I sigh. The only time I like the most during the waking hours I spend here at school is the afternoon. Aside from going home – which I always look forward to – we get to learn varied hand-to-hand combat skills, and even then, they still make fun of me. Everything I do looks amusing to them and until now, I couldn’t figure out why. Nevertheless, I push their insults to the back of my mind. The only notion I entertain all day is that I get to learn something new.

Still I wonder, to what element does my magic belong? Earth, maybe? But the katolanon mentioned before that my magic does not belong to any elemental magic. Still, I kind of hope all my life that my magic would be the air. I have to be good at fawning the anitus so they bless me with huge favors, I suppose. Anyway, the katalonan also mentioned that day that this magic is new, and that I am called the tamer, but what exactly does it do? Am I capable of taming even the wildest animal? Furthermore, do I just tame them? Or am I able to communicate with them? Can I summon them out of nowhere if I just chant my own spells?

Bad news, though. Ever since then, not a single animal goes near me! I guess they’re right. Everything about me is useless. Did Apang really leave us because of me? The only console I hold on to now are the words of the katalonan. “Well, we cannot oversee what the future has for us, though. So right now, the least we can do is appreciate the favors the anitus have given to each one of us. Am I understood?” But I still do not understand! What are the anitus thinking for giving me such ‘unique’ magic? Even by having such, I do not – not one bit – feel special. But do I need to? Maybe I am just overthinking.

Little do I know that my problem is going to find its solution soon.

"See you tomorrow, Electus. You are dismissed.” Guru Diwa announces. “And, by the way, be careful. It is raining hard. Go home in groups.”

In groups? I always go home alone, but bullies walk with me though. Is that even counted? Well, I guess maybe it is. Yet surprisingly, I am walking alone this afternoon. Is it the rain? Whatever. At least my ears get to rest from hearing nonsense while I keep being nonchalant all the while.

The rain feels soothing. Inang will not notice whether or not I arrive late. So, I decide to take my time. Before reaching our kubo, I must pass through a mini forest, but it’s fine. On every day that I pass here, I am already used to it.

"I’m scared…”

I stop on my tracks. I look to my left, no one’s there. To my right, not a shadow can be seen aside from those of the woods. Am I just imagining things? I seldomly talk to my self but I obviously do not right now. Am I starting to hear myself talk? I mean, I can hear myself talk when I converse with anybody; I am not dumb. Ha! Then why am I unsure if it’s me or not? Maybe an after effect of overthinking? Not only am I useless, I am slowly succumbing to insanity, too! This is getting way out of hand. I shake my head. No! I must find the owner of that voice. I am not crazy!

"I’m starving. Please, someone save me. It’s freezing in here…”

Curiosity is killing me as to what I am hearing. I am clearly standing alone in this mini forest. I don’t feel any other presence that is here with me. So, what is it? Argh! Since when do I stick my nose to someone else’s business? Oh, right. Every time.

I start to search behind every wood and bush, and all the time, whoever with me has not spoken a word. There’s been a talk in the neighborhood lately about a ghost rumored to have been found lurking around this mini forest. Don’t tell me I’ll get to witness it myself. Not a problem, but it still scares me!