Chapter 2

MAGIC SELECTION

"The brighter the light that would appear, the stronger the potential one has in magic. For a moment, I'll give you the pride for that, Electus. However, remember what I told you. Don't be too proud. You are yet to prove your strength, and this is only the beginning. Anyone can come forward so we can start the test."

Excitement and anxiousness are seen in everybody's visage. Who wouldn't? I mean, good luck is barely enough. Today may not be our day and this test may prove that. I remember what the guru's exact words are. I shake my head, hoping the idea of farming would fly out of my mind.

One by one, other Electus steps in the middle of the floating totems. Even just by watching them chant makes my heart race like crazy. I feel hyped for this first test! The lights are so wonderful that the whole time, I am in awe. Red light for fire, blue for water, and brown for earth. But neither once do the totem for air glow. What color would it be, I wonder? Grey, maybe? Anyway, how would it feel if it is my turn already? Will the light slowly descend upon me the way the others do? The thought stirs something inside of me.

It is Amanikable's turn now. Seeing him alone in one area as I makes it harder for me to breathe. Once inside, he starts to chant, and surprisingly, the totems swirl fast and the light that appears is blindingly bright that the rest of us have to cover our eyes! What does it mean? Are the totems malfunctioning? Is it even possible?

Guru is seen shaking his head, in disbelief, perhaps? "Just as I expected from the son of Apo Ra. It looks like another titan will be joining his family's hall of fame! Interesting lot. Hahahaha!"

That's new. The smug look that is usually painted on Amanikable's face is missing. Finishing his turn, Amanikable walks breezily as claps are heard after the praise of guru. I mean, he would have brought a huge embarrassment to his family if the light was too weak. Besides, Apo Ra is known to be well disciplined and uptight. Lucky him to have been born as the son of an Apo. On the other hand, the event puts the next Electus in an awkward state as it silently declares competition. That is, to have a stronger potential than Amanikable. Later then, the Electus that are yet to take the test is becoming fewer and it makes me feel hazy. Any moment from now would be my turn, but I can do this! May the anitus favor me at least on this test.

And now, here I am, shaking as I am surrounded by the floating totems. Which one of those will glow? Will it be the wind? Well, there is only one way to find it out, and I start to chant.

"Pray, the anitus all powerful and giving
Who bless this devoted being
May their mightiness hear this chant
Magic we seek, may they grant
Worship the Divine all to eternity
All for one, all for their glory!"

My eyes are closed as I speak. All the while that I take the test, I sense as if not a single muscle flexed. Why is everyone not making a noise? This feels different. Furthermore, I feel different. As soon as I open my eyes, I notice something weird. Did the light of everybody else disappear that fast? I can hardly recall. One thing, the totems seem fine. I search for guru to end my confusion. Looking around, it is not only me that is extremely baffled. Their eyes reflect eccentric expressions. Yet they're clearly not staring at me. They're staring at the animals of various kinds - from birds, butterflies to wolves, bears, and stags - gathering around me!

"Why did the totems not rotate, guru? I don't see a light above his head, either. Seeing the animals around him, does this mean he is not meant to be a mage?" Amanikable holds his laugh as he ask Guru Diwa.

"The... totems did not... turn?" I couldn't believe what I just heard. The others start asking guru almost the same questions, eager to hear his answer about my case, but he is in the same state of confusion as them. He seems to be in a deep thought before saying, "Well, that's it for now, children! See you all tomorrow. You are dismissed."