Chapter Nine - Penelope

Arundel castle was huge. Buildings surrounded a big green area, and the entire thing was like a giant maze, you were somehow supposed to know how to navigate without instructions. The moment my feet touched the ground outside the car, I felt the whispers of the dead. It wasn't as overwhelming as in Paris, but it did make me miss the medallion, Death had taken from me. On contrary to Paris, however, the dead seemed to be okay with being... well dead.

I didn't know what I expected, when we arrived, but for no one to show up but an old butler wasn't it. I guess the Smythes really didn't like me. Lukas didn't seem bothered though, so I went with it.

It wasn't until the evening; I meet the first of the castle occupants. Lady Celesté was my very distant cousin and my age, when she introduced herself to us.

Noah, Maia and I had been sitting in my huge room. It had a big bed, heavy dark wooden furniture and a view of the big castle yard. We had been talking about our next move, when the door burst open to reveal a girl with flushed cheeks. Her brown curls had once been in a tight braid, but it had become rather undone. She was wearing what looked like riding clothes.

"Penelope!" she had exclaimed, coming over to give me a hug. "I'm Celesté, and contrary to the rest of my family, I'm glad you're here."

She had then greeted both Noah and Maia in just as welcoming a manor, before greeting Lukas with a hug and that cheek-kiss gesture people did in Europe, though I suspected the tradition came from the part of my family, who normally lived in mainland Europe.

We were now all sat in a big room in dark colors. So far, the interior of Arundel Castle had been exactly what you'd imagine. Very decorated, vintage furniture, pictures and paintings of people and patterned carpets.

A steaming pot of tea was on a small coffee table in front of the vintage couch, I was sat on. Next to the tea was a plate of cookies – I'm sorry, biscuits – which Celesté had asked for along with the tea. The tea set was old fashioned porcelain, the kind you'd imagine the Queen drinking out of. Taking my cup, I was scared the handle would break. Why couldn't I get a good old-school mug with a weird quote on it?

"I'm so happy you're here, Penelope," Celesté grabbed a biscuit from the tray, "Monty – my brother – is turning 20 next week and there'll be a big celebration, which is usually very dull. These people are all about image and not actually fun."

Lukas chuckled at her as she made a face.

I smiled weakly. "Actually, Celesté, we're only here to figure out where the Bringer is."

Maia tensed slightly next to me, as Celesté took a sip of her tea, seemingly not bothered about my statement. "I know," she put her teacup down, "Lukas told me, however, Sam went completely offline a few days ago. No one's heard a word from her or Kali. It might take some time to find them."

My fists tightened, as I closed my eyes shortly. I felt Noah's eyes on me, but he remained quiet. Smart move, this was my family after all.

"We don't exactly have time," I opened my eyes.

Celesté gave a wry smile. "I know, and I'm going to try my hardest to help you, but it's not me you have to convince."

After that statement the conversation died slightly, until Lukas broke away, saying he would go to bed. We followed his example quickly after.

Falling asleep was hard. The bed was way too soft and the duvet was trapping me. The whispers all around me didn't exactly help. Once again, I cursed Death for taking my medallion to send me on this stupid quest. When all of this was over, I'd leave the Dark World. For good this time. I no longer had any wish to be part of it.