Chapter Eleven - Penelope

It was raining when we got to Berlin. The sky was one big grey cloud and the streets were filled with small puddles. If we'd been normal tourists, I'd have loved to go to some of the museums and explore all the streets, but we were in a hurry, so we ignored the sightseeing and went straight for Potsdamer Platz.

When we came up to the square from the Berlin Metro, I was surprised at how huge it was. Big modern buildings surrounded the square, that was filled up by a big road. Small café chains decorated the ground levels of some of the buildings. I looked around, Noah was beside me and I felt his gaze burning on me, as I tried to make out, where I was supposed to go. There were whispers here as well, but they were hard to hear from the traffic hurrying by.

"Maia?" I turned to her, as an idea struck me, "have you got a scarf?"

Maia frowned, then her face lit up, understanding what I wanted to do. She took her backpack of and reached into it, scurrying around, until she pulled out a long scarf, handing it to Noah. He raised an eyebrow.

"I don't exactly know where to go now. This has helped before," I explained, turning away from him, so he could blindfold me. His fingers sent small sparks through me, when he reached out and let the scarf rest in front of my eyes. I ignored it.

"What now?" he asked. Maia didn't answer him, but I felt her steady hands on my arms, as she started spinning me around. By the time I was almost vomiting from nausea, she stopped me.

"Okay Penny," Maia said. "Lead the way."

*****

It was harder to walk blindfolded on this big square, than it had been in Morristown. The dead whispered about attempts to flee to West Germany, air raids and things I wouldn't even begin to question. They made finding the Bringer a lot harder. The minute I thought I felt something, one of them yelled – sometimes in German – about how I should listen. They all wanted me to come to them to listen to their messages for Death. When I would finally start to walk towards the Bringer, Noah or Maia would stop me abruptly as we had to cross one of the many big roads. Finally, I sighed and pulled the blindfold off.

"This is useless. I can't focus here. To many dead." I turned to look at my friends. Maia gave a sad, but encouraging smile.

Noah took the blindfold. "Well," he said, sending me a glance that made me blush slightly. "How did you do it in Paris? There are many dead people there too."

I shrugged, looking around. "I have no ide..."

I stopped. In one of the big windows of a building I saw my friends and me. I looked closer, eyeing my reflection. My black hair was tied in a braid down my back, the blue eyes tired. I tilted my face slightly. Noah was right. I had gotten contact to the dead I wanted to talk to in Paris. I had summoned those I needed to talk to. I closed my eyes, letting out a breath, trying to empty my racing mind, opening up for the whispers.

... Shot me in the back as I tried to flee.

The bombs came so suddenly, meine Mutter cried...

The new train was early as it hit me.

I need you to deliver a message.

I let the voices in, ignoring most of them, though horrible pictures scattered across my mind at their stories. Finally, a small light cleared a way to a voice.

Messenger, it whispered.

"I'm listening," I said.

Come.

I opened my eyes, blinking at the loud traffic around me. I took Noah hand as I followed the light voice. I let my friends away from the big square and down narrow streets, until I finally stopped in front of an old building.