The Party

The Party

Brooke and I were sitting on my couch, cuddling, and watching Harry Potter when her phone went off. She checks it and looks at me.

"Mace is having a party. We're invited." She says.

"Do we have to go? I kinda just wanna stay home and cuddle." I say.

"Oh live a little. Are you scared or something?" She giggles.

"Well yeah. I'm scared you'll find someone more interesting than me and spend your entire night with them." I explain.

"Don't worry. I won't leave your side." She says, intertwining our fingers.

"What time does it start?" I ask.

"Eight o'clock." She says.

"That gives us 15 minutes to be there. And it's a 30 minute drive." I say.

"Traffic isn't that bad right now. We could make it in about 20 minutes if we leave right now." She explains.

"Well let's go!" I say.

We walk out the door and go to the Mustang.

"You driving?" I ask her.

"You're gonna let me?" She responds.

"Yeah." I say, tossing her the keys.

We drive to Mace's house and make it there a few minutes after eight.

"See? We're just a few minutes late." She smiles.

"Yeah. You're not gonna leave me, right?" I ask.

"Never." She says, grabbing my hand.

We walk into the party hand in hand. As soon as we walk into the party I see college kids all around me. Mace is twenty-three and he has his own house because his parents are rich and they spoil him. Anyways, there are people there that are already drunk. Couples making out, everywhere. Brooke leads me to the 'dance floor' and we start to dance. We're all over each other and we're getting a lot of attention. This college guy comes over and wraps an arm around Brooke's waist.

"Hey baby. How about you dump this bitch and come hang out with someone who can give you what you really need?" He smirks at her.

"I think Callie is giving me exactly what I need. Now, please let go of me." She says.

"No. You can either come willingly, or by force." He says.

"I don't think you wanna do that." I scowl.

"Oh yeah? And you're gonna stop me?" He asks.

I don't answer. I just walk over to Brooke and pull her out of his grasp.

"She's mine. I don't like sharing." I say, wrapping my arms around her waist.

He finally walks back over to his friends.

"You can let go of me now." Brooke says.

"I don't want to." I say.

"Why?" She asks.

"I don't want anyone else touching my girl." I say, blushing.

She holds me close and we continue dancing. Neither of us have had any alcohol and I'm pretty sure we're the only sober people at this party."Callie, let's go. This is getting boring and everybody is drunk." Brooke says.

I grab her hand and we walk out the door. I let her drive us home because she really seems to like driving my Mustang.

"Holy shit. It's midnight. I can't believe we were there that long. I'm so tired." She says, as we walk into my house.

"Same. Let's go to bed." I say.

We change into our pajamas and climb into my bed.

"Cuddle with me?" I ask her.

"Why do you even ask?" She says, smiling.

I wrap my arms around her and smile.

"I love you." I say sleepily.

'Holy shit. I just told her I love her. Oh fuck. Oh god. Lord Jesus help me.' I think.

She giggles and looks up at me.

"I know. I love you too." She says.

I smile and slowly drift off to sleep.

"Callie. Wake up. Your phone is ringing." I hear Brooke say.

"What time is it?" I ask, still half asleep.

"Four o'clock in the morning. Answer the damn phone." She says.

I reach over and pick up my phone.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey Callie it's Mr. Davis." I hear.

"Oh. Hey Mr. D. What's up? Why are you calling me at four in the morning?" I ask him.

"I have some bad news. Regarding your parents." He says.

Mr. Davis is my dad's boss.

"What is it? Are there gonna have to stay in Afghanistan longer?" I ask.

"No. Um... There was a bombing in Afghanistan today. Your parents just so happened to be where the bombs were dropped. I'm so sorry." He tells me.

"Are you saying that they're... Dead?" I ask, on the brink of tears.

"I'm afraid so. I'm sorry. I didn't know this would happen." He says.

"It's not your fault Mr. D. I'll talk to you later. Bye." I say and hang up.

Brooke looks at me and I start crying.

"What's wrong babe?" She asks, pulling me close.

"M-my p-parents are d-dead." I manage to say.

"Oh Callie, I'm so sorry baby." She says, kissing the top of my head and holding me close.

I just continue to cry.

'This defines me. How I act when I lose something important to me. I hate this stupid assignment.' I think to myself.

I stay in Brooke's arms and cry until I fall asleep again.