The Assignment

The Assignment

'What truly defines us as a person?' I stare down at my latest assignment and sigh. 'How the hell am I supposed to know what truly defines us as a person? I'm sixteen years old. All that matters is good looks and good hair.'

"Hey Callie. What are you doing?" I hear my best friend Brooke ask me.

"Hey Brooke. Trying to figure out what to write for Mrs. Hall's class." I respond.

"Oh you mean the whole' what defines us as a person thing.' What does she expect us to write? She gave us three weeks to complete this assignment and all I can think is 'We are high school kids. The only thing that defines us is our hair, looks, and bodies." She says exasperated.

"I know. It's making my head hurt. She knows we're high school students and she gave us an assignment that seems so simple. She knows all we think about is good looks and sex. She knows that's the first thing that we're gonna think of. There has to be something deeper. Something more meaningful." I say.

"You know what I think? I think you're a deep idiot who feels the need to over think everything." She says giggling.

"Fuck you Brooke." I say scowling at her.

"You would." She says winking.

"Is that an invitation?" I smirk at her as she turns bright red.

"Oh shut up." She says sitting on my bed.

I get up from my chair and sit down beside her and giggle.

"How's Eric doing?" I ask her.

"I'm thinking about breaking up with him. He's not really my type." She says.

"Yeah? And what's your type?" I ask.

She starts to say something but then it seems like she thought of something better to say.

"You." She says smirking.

"Yeah right. Shut up." I say blushing.

She laughs, then wraps her arms around me and pulls me down to lay on the bed with her.

"Are you really gonna break up with him?" I inquire.

"I think so. He keeps pressuring me to have sex with him." She says quietly.

"I'll kill him." I scowl.

"Forget about it. It's not like he's hurt me or anything." She says looking down.

I wiggle my way out of her arms and put my finger under her chin, tilting her head up, making her look at me.

"I don't care if he's hurt you or not. If you told him no the first time, he shouldn't keep asking you. He should get the message. You have no idea how angry that makes me." I say looking into her eyes.

She looks like she's about to cry when she lays her head on my chest and intertwines her fingers with mine.

"You're the best. Now just cuddle with me." She says.

I wrap my arms around her and kiss the top of her head.

"Anything for you." I smile.

'Maybe this is what defines us. The people that we love.' I think as Brooke snuggles closer to me.

This is gonna be a long night.