flowers

As the soft pelts of the early morning spring showers knocked at your window, Ushijima was still asleep with a hand tucked under his pillow, his body facing you. You lie there skimming over his features with a small, sleepy smile spread on your face, your heart clenching at the domestic sight. Like this, he was most relaxed. His brows weren't furrowed in concentration, his lips were slightly pursed as he let out deep breaths, his toned arms and shoulders weren't tense. When he was asleep, it seemed as if he were at ease, content with everything.

You hummed and slowly brought the tip of your index finger to lightly trace it down his face, starting at the start of his forehead, down his nose, curving at his lips. Your gentle touch roused him awake, his hazel eyes slightly parted to look at you, his brows turned in confusion.

You softly giggled and gently pulled his face into your hands, holding him as if he were porcelain. You brought your lips to press onto the places you traced, your touch like a butterfly's: His forehead. Kiss. The tip of his nose. Kiss. His plush lips. Kiss. He sighed into your mouth and kissed you back, a small blush high on his cheeks. You pulled away after a few seconds and looked at him. He was more awake now and held a look of awe...love. It was written all over his glossy eyes.

Then, his large hands came to envelop you, your bed dipping in the process. You smiled at the giant of a man. He pressed his face onto your neck, his nose brushing side to side against it, his lips tickling your skin. You brought your fingers to his head to brush through his soft olive hair. If you felt the small drops of tears he left on your skin, you tried to pay no mind to them, but all the while, your eyes were getting foggy themselves.

With a low, shaky breath, he lowered his head to rest on your chest, his hands at your rib cage, his ear listening to every beat, every sound that gave away the love you had for him. You continued smoothing at his hair, feeling your own happiness bite at your insides.

Not once in your life did you think you could experience a feeling so immense. Like everything you had done led to up to this moment. Like you had won the world's greatest gift. He was the feeling you got from the fireplace crackling as the first snowfall outside marked the start of winter. He was the feeling you got from admiring the sun's reflection on the ocean's waves as they reached to touch the sand, leaving a trail of bubbles in its wake. He was warmth, comfort. He was love. By the time you looked down at him, your trembling lip gave away your emotions. He looked up to you, a look of worry over his features.

"It's okay," you lovingly whispered and smoothed your thumbs over the crease on his forehead as you reassured him. His nimble fingers came to brush away the tears from your eyes, the callouses on his thumbs sending a shiver through you. His touch was then followed by his lips, as he kissed over the tear tracks you left behind. You giggled at him, your tears continuing to spill out.

"I love you," Kiss. "I love you," Kiss. "I love you." Kiss. He deeply whispered those words like a mantra onto your cheeks, every word permanently seeping into your skin, every word laced with passion. His words left your heart feeling as if it blossomed with hundreds of flowers.

"I love you too."

Forever.