Ch. 15

Demi's pov

I put the vacuum in the hallway closet before walking downstairs and meeting Eleanor in our bedroom.

Once I walk into the bedroom is when I hear her cries and I close our door quietly. I get into the bed beside her feeling my heart break at her cries.

"I'm sorry, I don't know why she's being like this. I don't know how to fix it or make it stop. She was doing so good and now she's treating you like crap again. I'm sorry Demi." She cries.

"Eleanor, it's ok-"

"It's not ok!"

I sigh and pull her into my arms as carefully as her cries become louder, "Babe, I'm not upset. Please don't get upset. It's ok, Eleanor. I'm not taking it personally. I have a step dad, I get the hurt and frustration. I get the purposely hurting them to cope with the situation. She needs time, this is a lot Elle. But I'm not hurt babe." I say.

"I'm trying, I'm trying so hard to get her to be respectful and not say the things she does. I'm sorry." she cries.

"I know Elle, I know babe. It's not a big deal, I'm not upset."

I listen to her sob before carefully wiping her tears, "Just take a few deep breaths, it'll all be alright." I say.

"What if it's not?" Her voice cracks.

"It will be, she just needs time." I say.

"She's had time Demi." She cries.

"Babe, she needs more. Every child adjusts to things differently. Hayley is needing more time and that's perfectly ok. There's nothing wrong with that." I say.

"It's not ok when she's saying the things she is Demi." She cries.

"Eleanor, it's not even hurting me. I've read worse on twitter and I've heard worse."

It's a lie, but will I tell Eleanor that? Absolutely not. Hayley knows exactly where to strike, I'll give her that. She's learned me enough to know what things hurt the most to hear. She's struck hard today and I know that's far from the worst she could say. I'm scared to know what is if I have to be honest.

"It doesn't make it ok Demi." She cries.

"I'm not upset Elle, let's not worry about it." I say.

I wipe her tears again and peck her lips, "It's ok babe, just take a deep breath. Everything's going to be ok." I say softly.

Her cries turn into small hiccups and I place gentle kisses on her cheek and hold her until she's calmed down.

"I love you so much." I whisper.

"I love you too." She whispers.

I hear the door open and I turn my head to watch Hayley walks into the room, "I actually don't want to be here so can I go to Kennedy's before I actually get angry that I have to be around the two of you?"

"No you should've thought about that before you opened your mouth Hayley." Eleanor says wiping her tears.

"What did I say that wasn't true?" She sasses.

"Sometimes it's called respect Hayley. If you don't want to show me or your mom any then we're not going to allow you to do what you want. I don't think it's that hard." I say.

She glares at me, "Oh it's very hard, it actually kills me on the inside to be nice to you."

"Apologize and we can talk and maybe you can go to Kennedy's." Eleanor says.

"Apologize?! For what?!" Hayley yells.

At the sight of her anger I know that things are about to get out of control very quickly, "For the truth?! Nothing I said was wrong! You know that! So now I have to apologize for it?! Am I not allowed to use facts and proof to prove an argument?! Am I not allowed to speak my mind and tell my feelings?! Tell me! Because if not, I'm gonna loose it!" She yells.