2. New York City

Mrs. Garcia

A cool breeze hit my face as I stepped out of the New York International Airport.

After packing my stuff, I called Caroline to inform her I was coming to her. Unfortunately, my call went to voicemail. I explained to her everything through voicemail.

Ron hadn't come back yet after our argument in the evening. So, I took the opportunity to escape from him, from his house, from his hell.

Since I had Caroline's address, I gave it to the taxi driver. After forty-five minutes of the journey in traffic, he dropped me at the address.

I looked at the vibrant, brick red house in front of me. I smiled, recalling Caroline's words. She used to say that no other houses in her neighborhood would have such a bold shade. I could easily recognize her house if I ever wanted to visit her.

I walked to the main door and rang the doorbell. I waited for five minutes and rang the doorbell again when no one opened the door—the first time.

I took my mobile out and tried Caroline's number. It went to voicemail again, and I stomped my feet against the ground in anger.

My hand protectively reached my belly, and I realized I should be careful with my body now. No more jumping and no more running until the baby comes out. I reminded myself.

I kept trying her call as I paced across the yard. I checked the time, and it was ten p.m.

Hungry growls came out of my stomach like a volcano eruption. I didn't get to eat anything in a hurry to run away from Canada.

I kept my travel bag aside and walked to the neighbor's house to ask about Caroline and her family. I rang the doorbell. A minute later, a middle-aged woman with auburn hair and brown eyes opened the door. She glanced at me from top to bottom and fixed her gaze on my face.

She offered a warm smile, and asked, "Can I help you?"

I gave her an awkward smile in reply. "Do you know anything about your neighbors?" I pointed towards my left to show Caroline's house. "Like where they went? Or When will they return?"

"They went to attend some party or wedding—" Her forehead creased as she tried to explain. "—I don't know exactly but they will be back by tomorrow."

"Thank you." I gave a brief smile. "I'll come back tomorrow."

She nodded slowly, and I turned around to leave. I heard shutting the door behind me as I walked out.

I took my bag and started walking in the dark with no direction. I just needed to survive this one night and I could go back to Caroline tomorrow.

My stomach growled again, and it was like my baby reminding me to eat something before I faint. I started looking for a restaurant as I continued to walk.

I startled when I heard a sudden and violent thunderstorm. I raised my head to see the sky and the first drop of rain graced my forehead. I frowned because I seriously didn't want to deal with rain now.

When the first splatter of rain hit me, I took shelter under the roof of a large building like others who were passing by on the road.

After every minute, the pouring became heavy. Slowly, one by one were leaving even though it was drenching. They might have understood that the rain wouldn't stop soon.

I took my mobile out of my jeans pocket to search for nearby hotels. I could stay tonight at a hotel and go back to Caroline's house tomorrow.

As I was busy scrolling down the hotels and was checking the prices, the guy who was standing behind me closed the distance between us. My subconscious alerted, and I hastened away. I turned around and gave him a disgusting look.

He gave me a half-smile in return. "Chill!" He held up his hands, palms facing me. "No harm. We can just have fun and go back on our ways."

He took a step in my direction, and a chill ran down my spine. I turned around swiftly to leave, but my head bumped into a hard chest. I glanced up to see another guy with a smirk.

I gulped and moved back with my wide eyes. I looked around to find another two and my heartbeat drummed against my chest. I glanced at my bag before looking back at all four of them.

One guy with blond hair grabbed my bag. "Where do you want to go, gorgeous? I'll take you. Actually, we all can take you."

All four of them laughed, and it was the worst sound I ever heard.

I realized I couldn't take my bag after his words. The grip of my hand around my mobile tightened as they took a step in my direction.

There was no one around to save me, so I turned back and started running. In less than a few seconds, I was completely drenched in rain. I couldn't stop running because I could hear the footsteps of them behind me.

I knew I shouldn't run, but I couldn't help. I had to run to save myself and my baby.

My eyes were darting around my surroundings to find someone, but there was none. I quickly took a turn and crouched down to hide behind the tree on the roadside as it was dark.

I quickly tried to unlock my mobile to call for help. But the stupid fingerprint scanner wasn't working because of my wet fingers.

"Where did she go?"

My breath hitched when I heard one of them speak. I took a peek from behind the tree and they were searching for me.

I made a mistake. I shouldn't have come alone. I should have gone to my mom. She would have done something and I wouldn't be stuck in this situation. I should have faced my problems without running away.

They all turned to leave when they didn't find me. My mobile rang, and I glanced at it before pressing the power button to mute it so they couldn't find me. Henry was calling, and I answered it quickly.

"Henry," I said through the phone.

"Hello! Where are you? Ron came to me and—"

My mobile slipped from my hands when I heard the blond hair one scream. "She is here."

They all looked at me, and I got up on my feet. They must have heard my mobile ringtone.

"Hello... Are you there?" I could hear Henry's voice through the phone, but I didn't want to waste a second in picking the mobile from the ground. So, I started running.

The raindrops were hitting my face as I kept running in the dark. It was freaking cold, and I was freezing.

I took another turn to divert them and kept running, and then I took another turn but halted in my tracks when the light hit my eyes suddenly. My right hand raised to my face immediately and played as a barrier between my eyes and the light.

I opened my eyes to look at the source of light. My eyes grew wide when I saw the black car approaching me. My blood froze in my veins.

Thanks for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment.