5. My Husband?

Cia

Dr. Moore and the nurse exchanged a worried glance and shifted their gaze towards the man who was standing at the door. I rolled my head on the pillow to look at him. He was tall and lean. His white shirt tucked into blue trousers while his dark brown hair was perfectly combed over.

He took three long strides and approached me. "You don't remember your name?" He knitted his brows.

Everything seemed unfamiliar, including my name. I tried to search for my memories in my brain. But there were neither memories nor glimpses of them. Everything was blank. I felt empty.

The more I tried to search for my memories, the more questions popped up in my mind. What was my name? Why was I lying on the hospital bed? What was going on with me? Why couldn't I remember a thing?

Out of all my emotions, fear was heightened. Tears started leaking from the corner of my eyes.

"No." I managed to say. His green eyes grew wide. The same green eyes bored into mine when I first opened my eyes. "Do I know you?"

"Yes, Mrs. Davis. He is your husband," Dr. Moore answered my question.

I stared at the man with wide eyes. He snapped his head in the doctor's direction.

"My husband?" Everyone in the room looked at me. Was I married? I looked down at my hands, which were resting on my stomach. A diamond ring was shining on my left hand.

Gulping hard, I raised my shivering hand to look at the ring clearly. The enormous diamond had a square-cut, which was a princess cut. It was so pretty but... It also confirmed that I was married. The sound of a beeping machine that was connected to me increased rapidly as my heartbeat had become irregular.

"Why can't I remember anything?" A sob broke out from my lips. I closed my eyes, feeling ashamed of crying like a lost child. But I didn't differ from a lost child.

"It's a side-effect of the accident, Mrs. Davis." An accident? I opened my eyes to see Dr. Moore's direct gaze. "But you need to calm down first," Dr. Moore's voice was soft, "everything will be fine." Though his warm smile was reassuring, my tears didn't stop.

Suddenly, I felt a cold palm over my right hand that was on my belly. I glanced between the man and his hand over mine.

"I assure you that everything is going to be fine." His voice was softer than Dr. Moore's. I stared at him blankly. He gave a gentle squeeze on my hand. A wave of comfort washed over me for the first time since I opened my eyes. I didn't know if I should believe his words, but I desperately wanted to believe him.

"Mrs. Davis," I rolled my head on the pillow once again to look at Dr. Moore. "I need you to answer a few questions to know more about your condition. Will you do that?"

I didn't think I was ready for a question-and-answer section right now. But I had to do this to know what was wrong with me.

I nodded.

"Good." Dr. Moore smiled. "Let's begin. Where are we right now?"

"Hospital?"

"Which city?"

My eyes wandered across the room in the hope to find a clue or something. Tears welled up in my eyes again when I couldn't find anything.

"New York City." The man answered for me. "Don't stress out. Ok?"

I gave a small nod.

"What's the color of the sky?" Dr. Moore asked the next question.

I knew this. "Blue."