End Game

POV Five Jackson

When I wake up, the sun is finally out, streaming through the windows of  the guest room I was offered last night. I gladly took it- sleeping on pavement does a number on your back. I slept like a baby.

Where was I? Oh. The sun. That shit hits me dead in the eyes and wakes me up. I slide my hand under my pillow and retrieve the knife I hid there last night. I'm one to have many weapons on me at all times. You can never be too careful in Gotham. I've got a few others in the messenger bag dumped beside the bed, a gun, a magazine for it. I'm well armed. And if I'm going to be protecting Penguin from the crazy shit he gets himself into, i should be ready for anything.

I slip on my boots, sturdy black combat lace-ups and try to get my hair in order in front of the mirror across the room. The black strands fall all over the fucking place and I just shake my head- it's been worse. It's been worse and I'll live with it.

I have to take a breath. I came face to face with my sister's killer last night and the need for vengeance, the fire is effectively relit. I remember the smell of her perfume as she hugged me for the last time. We'd planned to meet again.

I walk out of the room, careful not to make much noise. But it's to no avail- everybody's up already. I'm at the doorway to the dining room where Penguin and Nygma are at the head of the table,!reading the newspaper. It looks like Penguin's bathed in the sunlight streaming in from the window behind him. He's... really fucking handsome. I stop and take a breath. I have to stop. He looks up just as I reach up to ruffle my hair again (nervous habit).

"Good morning," he smiles at me. "Come in, there's bound to be some food left over. Olga?" He calls to the maid, who nods brusquely and sweeps into the kitchen. "Sit," he instructs. Wordlessly I drop into the chair nearest to me, two seats away from him and Nygma. I stuff down a yawn.

Olga places a plate of toast, eggs and bacon in front of me. Holy shit. The grin that breaks into my face feels like it's going to split my cheeks. I didn't have to steal this. I didn't have to worry about being shot to get it. I'm being too sentimental but it's the truth. I look up and thank her, and I see her normally stoic expression twitch a little. That makes the smile on my face even bigger.

I barely hear Penguin chuckling softly behind me as I work my way through the pile of food. It's amazing. I don't even realize Penguin watching me until I sit back, finally finished. His smile is small, and I'm struck by the way I've done this.

You are an idiot.

Did I just? I just waltzed on in here, told a crime lord and his crazy right hand guy that they need a babysitter and then let my guard down completely to eat like a starving warthog. There was no plan, and bad execution of whatever I thought I was doing, and I know I'm better than this.

But somehow his smile makes up for it.

I know he's not going to kill me. I haven't done anything wrong. I've killed traitors for him, sold drugs for him, and I think I'm safe enough. I remind myself of how quickly that can change, just to make sure I'm not going soft.

He clears his throat and my head shoots up just enough to watch him through a few strands of my dark ginger hair.

"So. I do have a few meetings today."

My heart drops, although it really fucking shouldn't, and I nod.

"Yeah," I say, standing up. The chair pushes back as he just looks up at me. "I should..." I mumble, jerking a thumb towards the door. I'm jittery, it's another nervous habit.