New Year's Day

POV nobody (3rd person)

He opens the little box of white pills and pops one in his mouth. Turns around.

"What did I tell you about dripping on the couch?" he asks testily. He's talking to a man in a dripping wet black three-piece suit sitting on his fancy couch.

"You are the only person I know who frets about his drug-induced hallucination making a mess. But..." the man gets up and moves, making a squish sound as he goes. He stands in front of the first man, in a dark green suit. "If it makes you happy."

"Thank you." he sighs.

"I wonder how long you will be the public face of grief when people hear that you killed your best friend?" the black-haired man asks sardonically.

"And me, too."

The green suited man whirls. Behind him is a young man, with red hair and pale skin, wearing blue jeans, a black leather jacket, and a white, bloodstained t-shirt. He leans against the back wall.

"Wh- You aren't supposed to be here," he says, voice filled with surprise.

"What, you weren't expecting all of the people you shot to come back as drug-induced hallucinations?" The redhead raises his eyebrows.

"No," the green suited man stutters and turns to the man in the black suit.

"Well, you did leave my body at the pier. Really, go to such lengths to dispose of the mayor, but not me?" he tsks lightly. "Careless."

"You are much more cocky than I remember," the man in green mutters.

"I'm dead. I can say what I want now." the red haired man shrugs.

"And then there are your... extracurricular activities," said man butts in.

"How many are we up to now? Five? Six?" the redhead grins.

"There was the curator," The suit says.

"The writer, pretentious ass," The other man adds.

"It's so frustrating. They all fit the profile, high l.Q., driven, creative. Yet each one failed," the green suited man starts to pace.

"You must be the first person in history to go on a killing spree in order to find a life coach," the black suited man snorts.

"Maybe you should..." the red haired man pretends to think, and leans forward to say sarcastically, "Ditch the riddles."

"No. A good riddle reveals the asker," the green suit man insists. "To solve it is to solve the mystery of the person posing it. If I can find someone to solve my riddles, I can find someone to help me."

"Do you really think you're going to find someone who can teach you how to be a villain?" The black haired man snorts.

"Yes! Of course I am. You said yourself, there is no Edward Nygma without the Penguin," he points back at the black haired man. "But knowing who I am, and knowing how to be him, those are separate things."

"Ed, villains do not have teachers!" he retorts. "I made myself into the Penguin when I threw Fish Mooney off a building. I didn't have anyone's help."

"Oh, how interesting." Ed whispers. "Perhaps I'm thinking about this all wrong."

"Obviously," the redhead rolls his eyes.

"I don't need a teacher. I need an enemy."

"No, that is not-" Penguin argues.

"The greatest villains have always been defined... by the men that try to stop them! And I know the perfect man."

"Don't even-" the red haired man pushes off the wall.

"Please, do not say..." Penguin follows.

"Jim Gordon." They all say together.

~ a few days later, at a chess tournament ~

"Thanks for coming," Ed says.

"Like I had a choice," Penguin snorts.

"Oh, you'll thank me. This is gonna be electrifying."

"Knight to Queen three. Mate in two," Ed calls quietly.

"Quiet, please." says a woman, her voice faint on the floor of the theater.

"Oh, honestly. They call anyone a Grandmaster these days," he rolls his eyes.

"Can we discuss why you're doing this?" Penguin has popcorn, and is eating it like a starving man.

"I've told you why."

"The real reason," the redhead pops in. He's sitting in a red fabric-covered chair with his legs kicked up on the railing behind them. Ed looks just as confused as he did when the other man popped up the first time. He wasn't there a minute ago.

"See, Ed, the trouble with talking to projections of your psyche," Penguin pauses and laughs, "And you of all people should know this- is that they know everything you know. Including the things you're trying not to know."

The redhead suddenly appears at Ed's other side. "Gordon can't help you. No one can."

"Face the truth," Penguin says, almost gleefully.

"There's the GCPD. We'll see you around, pal," the redhead claps Ed on the back. "Until then."

"Goodbye, Five. Oswald."

~ End ~

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this book. It's my pride and joy atm and I'm very proud of it! Here are the three (3) main Easter eggs and things you may have missed throughout the book.

1. Each chapter title is a song from Taylor Swift's album reputation. It was a huge inspiration for this story and I felt it needed to show. (You probably already noticed that, especially my Taylor Swift fans.)

2. Every chapter has the name of the song or a song lyric in it somewhere. Look closely, because some of them aren't easy to find unless you're looking hard.

3. There's also an Eminem lyric in here. comment if you find it ;)

~ Rewritten September 2020 ~