{28} Surprise Attack

~Niall's POV~

Seconds after Louis realizes our mistake, shouts fill the air. I hear lots of clicking as guns are loaded, and soon we're completely surrounded. Everyone but Louis puts their hands up, and I watch as the armed men part, allowing Daniel to step through.

"Good job, Tomlinson." He says, clasping his hands together. "You caught my double in the act. I should have warned him not to have so much compassion as to actually use your name."

"You have a double?" Cher asks in disbelief, and Daniel nods.

"Clone. Most of the Wizards here have them. They come in very useful." He explains briefly, walking up to Louis and crouching next to him, looking into my eyes. "Hello, Your Majesty. How unfortunate that your friends' plan didn't go quite as well as they intended." Daniel stands, now looking at Louis. "Take the Prince." He orders, and Louis backs away as two Wizards step closer to us, trying to take me from him.

"Don't touch Niall." Louis says angrily, holding me close against his chest, trying to protect me.

"Take him." Daniel repeats. Louis growls as I'm torn from his arms, and one of the Wizards uses a levitation spell, holding me in the air in a sort of standing position so I can see everything going on.

"What do you want with him?" Cher asks, crossing her arms.

"I want revenge for everything his family did to me." Daniel replies, turning to me. His hand glows and the air around me changes to match, until I'm stuck in a red fog that burns, as if I'm trapped in a fire. I can't move away, so I'm stuck, completely still, burning alive. I'm so focused on the pain that I don't realize I'm screaming until Daniel removes the fiery fog. Everyone is staring at me, and I move my arm, just as shocked as everyone else. How can I move?

"What did he do?" The Wizard holding me in the air asks, turning to Daniel.

"Surprise!" A familiar voice exclaims, and I spin around in the air to see Josh at the end of the hallway, half of a broken sphere in his hand and the other half in pieces, all over the floor of the hallway. "Now then, Niall, let's get you down from there." Josh says, and I release myself from the levitation spell, landing on the ground and standing.

"We always have a backup plan." I say, grinning at Daniel.

"Well so do I." Daniel replies, and more Wizards stream into the hallway.

"Attack!" Josh shouts, and ghosts start appearing everywhere, fighting Wizards and taking their guns, strapping magic-blocking wristbands on to everyone they can until Daniel is the only one left with magic. Cher and I lift him into the air, our combined power too much for Daniel to fight.

"Like I said, we always have a backup plan." I smirk, turning to Josh. "Thanks, by the way." Josh bows, disappearing along with the rest of the ghosts, and taking the Wizards' guns with them.

"Now then," Louis begins, walking up to Cher and I and looking up at Daniel, "what did you want with Niall's magic?"

"Do you really think I'm going to tell you that?" Daniel scoffs, crossing his arms. "That's a secret I plan on taking to my grave."

"Well we can make that happen, if you'd like." Cher threatens, her hand glowing red. "Call it payback." My hands glow blue and I stop Cher's spell, frowning at her.

"We're not killing anyone. For now, we need to find the exit. Louis?" I turn to the Immortal and he points back the way we came.

"Past the cell, where we'll pick up Harry and Liam, then two lefts and a right to get your aunt, then three rights, two lefts, and a right and you'll find the exit." Louis says, grinning.

"And how did you remember all that?" Zayn asks, and Louis shrugs.

"I can't exactly forget." He replies, walking over to Daniel and reaching into his pocket. He pulls out another wrist cuff, handing it to me. "If you put this on him, you're the only one who can take it off." Louis explains, and I walk up to Daniel, grabbing his hand. I snap the cuff around his wrist and Cher drops him to the ground, smiling.

"See you later, Daniel." She says, and we start to walk away. We head back down the hallway and find Harry, Liam, and my aunt, then the entire group heads for the exit. Louis and I stay at the back, while Cher takes the front. When we get to the door, Louis leaves me at the back to open the door. We all head out, one by one, until I get out and we discover where we are. A field, a giant grassy field. I can see a mountain range in the distance, but I'm not sure which one. In the opposite direction is a thick forest, and behind us is a small shack with a steep staircase, leading down to the base.

"We were down there the entire time." Cher says in disbelief, shaking her head.

"Apparently." Harry agrees.

"Now what?" Liam asks, looking at my aunt.

"Now we head for the mountains. High altitude, easier to send a message to the Spellcaster class teacher." She says, leading the way. Once again, Louis and I fall into the group at the back, walking in silence. In fact, the entire group walks in silence, no one brave enough to disturb the peacefulness of the area. We're halfway to the mountains when the silence is finally broken, very abruptly. By a gunshot.

I stumble forwards and Louis gasps, helping me keep my balance. I look down to see blood coming out of my stomach, and suddenly I feel dizzy. I turn my head to see Daniel standing a few yards behind us, a pistol in his hand. He grins when he sees me looking, and he watches as I fall to my knees, the world spinning.

"Surprise!" Daniel yells as my head hits the ground and the world starts to fade away. The last thing I see is Louis' face and the sparkling tears running down it before everything disappears.