Chapter 25

*Present*

"NO!"

"Daniel, watch out..." I screamed grabbing the steering wheel and turning it to right before we would crash into the car at the left just a few centimetres away. When we came across a turn, Daniel parked at the corner before leaving a deep sigh. We would've been a sandwich if I didn't turn on time, I wonder what made him space out all of sudden even in my presence. I touched his arm and he stiffened instinctively before landing his tired eyes across me.

"Are you okay? What happened?" His head fell back on the seat.

"Nothing, I just....I was..." He left a long exasperated breath as his lids fell hiding his beautiful green pools. We need to get to his place before we end up in a hospital.

"Let me drive, okay?" I suggest and to my surprise he actually agreed. Maybe he's tired and under work load and now that I'm with him, I can make sure he relaxes for a while. We switch our seats and I take the route he directs to his apartment.

It was just big and lavish as his father's house. Long white leather couche in front of a classy fireplace and full length glass windows revealing the beautiful view of city below. As soon as we kick our shoes at the door he plops on the couch relaxing himself. I just stand there arms crossed looking at this man that wouldn't even spare some time being nice to a lady and ask for a drink.

I clear my throat to zap him back to reality. He chuckles face palming himself before walking into the kitchen. I take my time in admiring his new place, it was undeniably clean and cozy, Daniel was a very organized person. There was a bookshelf in the shape of staircase with books about philosophy and business, photos of him and his family from their trips and some great paintings on the white walls. I liked what he has done to this place.

I heard footsteps from behind and turn around to watch Daniel place two glasses and a wine before taking off his coat. Okay, he didn't have to do that! His muscles rippled through his tight navy blue shirts making me realise he's been working out again.

"Like what you see?" His green eyes lit up as he smirked on me drooling over him. I chuckled shaking my head and joined him on the couch as he poured out drinks.

"Are you okay?" I finally ask after a few sips of delicious and God knows how costly wine. His puts his glass on the coffee table before turning completely to face me searching my face as if contemplating whether or not he should tell me something. Or many things for that matter.

As much as I didn't want to glance towards him twice before a few weeks, I can't deny the fact that I've always been curious. I've always wanted to know the reason he cheated or he was forced to as he claims, I wanted to know why he didnt bother to approach and clear things as soon as I left his bedroom that day. I left a sigh readying myself for what Daniel is about to spill.

"Would you believe what I'm about to tell you?" He's as eager to lighten his burden as I am. I take his hand in mine and nod while he took a long sip of his wine before focusing completely on me.

"Emily was my childhood friend, I can't quite remember her because I hardly spent time with her. For me she was just the daughter of my father's best friend, Nathan Roosevelt. And four years ago on the same day we bumped into each other, I met her in my office..." I clutched his hand tighter on learning that he knew her way too long before than me.

"My company was undergoing loss at that time, and my father had approached Nathan for help. That's the thing he used her daughter to leverage us." He went on about telling everything that happened to his company and how Emily was being a pupet to her father, to the day we broke up and what had actually happened before I arrived.