Chapter 2: the return (new+ old version)

𝐀/𝐍: 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐈'𝐦 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬, 𝐈 𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦.𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞, 𝐚𝐬 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝟐 𝐭𝐨 𝟒.

New version:

I woke up two days later. At least, that's how it felt. I regained consciousness at some point, but I don't remember. Apparently, it wasn't only my leg that took a big hit; my head also did. I got a concussion. It could've been way worse, the doctor said.

They say it would take a few weeks, at least six, for my leg to recover. Until then, I was given crutches for later and told not to put pressure on them. I need to stay here anyways because of my concussion.

In a haze, I asked about my mother. Deep down, I knew that she didn't survive. However, I still had a sliver of hope I wanted to satisfy. The doctor lowered his said and whispered:

Doctor: We were too late.

My brain took a long time to process those words. His words bounced in my skull until they drilled themselves into my memories. I closed my eyes and slowly nodded. A single tear rolled down my cheek and splashed the bedsheets. The doctor tapped my Iv, then checked something in his notebook.

Doctor: We have finished every test for now. Do you want to be alone for a few minutes?

I nodded again. He warmly smiled.

Doctor: I'll be back.

He walked out of my room and closed the white curtain behind him. A deafening silence followed, intercut by the noises made by the fan and the beeps of the life support, indicating that I was still alive. In the background, I could perceive voices. They got louder and louder, approaching my room and continuing to talk over one another and mixing in a pile of incomprehensible gibberish. I could also hear wheels rolling on the floor rapidly. The moment they passed my room, the voices got more distant.

Soon, another tear fell down my cheek. My eyes burned and filled with water. Then, I couldn't hold my sadness anymore. I broke down. A sharp pain exploded in my head; salty water flooded the bedsheets.

"We were too late."

That was my confirmation. My confirmation that my mom died, that my house burned, that we lost everything in one lone night, that I could never see her again. The doctor's words resonated inside me, taking so much space in my brain and hitting the walls of my skull. I cried until I couldn't anymore, until my lachrymal glands were empty, until his words didn't mean anything.

After a few minutes or hours, I calmed down and stared at the ceiling, waiting for time to pass. I used too much energy to cry but was just energetic enough not to fall asleep. I was forced to face my situation head-on. All the events replayed in my head, haunting my day and tainting my good memories. The pals of the fan slowly turned and turned, making the same wind noise at a patient rhythm. The hospital was just as busy as ever. Voices overlapping, screams of pain, anger, sadness, happiness, life supports beeping constantly, some stopping never to be heard again.