Page 35

Caleb.

I sat beside her. Unable to stop me, I raked my hand through her hairs flowing down her back. Touching her at this moment was a necessity.

"What did you remember?"

She rubbed her chin against her clasped hands. "She left us there. My mom, I called, and she didn't answer." Trixie lowered her head.

I continued to comb through her silky hair and listened to the birds calling out to one another outside her window. Her shoulders never shook. No tears streamed down her face. The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see, the wailing on the street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept, and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like Trixie and me, our souls contained more scars tissue than life.

She picked her pillow, "I'm alone now. Dad is dead. Mom is God knows where. Mom was a long shot, but I pretended I had him. But, " Trixie shook her head. "It sucks to be alone."

"Come here, baby." And with my words, Trixie leaned into me, soft, broken. "You're not alone," I whispered into her hair as I cradled her in my arms. "You're not alone, because you have me." And I love you, more than you could ever know.

As soon as I finished my shower, I planned on calling Trixie then heading to my part-time job.

The hot water washed away the tiredness from all the happenings of the day. After ten minutes, the hot water faded, leaving only steam. I wiped the mirror and saw my tired eyes' staring back. "You didn't tell me what the fuck to do in this situation."

Water droplets hung in the damp air and on my body.

"Caleb?"

A welcome voice, Trixie's, came from my bedroom. A smile spread across my face. I left the bathroom in a towel, "What's up, baby?"

Trixie peeked around the corner and rapidly turned her head in the opposite direction.

I padded into the bedroom behind her, running my hand down her back. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to tell you something. Can you put some clothes on?"

She shrugged and avoided looking in my direction.

I let go of her and walked over to my cupboard, picking a pair of jeans. I zipped my jeans. "What's going on, baby?"

Trixie turned around, and her smoldering green eyes drifted to my bare chest. She licked her lips and quickly focused on folding a blanket which I had left on the couch. "I am traveling to New York this evening, alone."

"What?" I was shocked.

Trixie narrated the whole situation to me, like how she received the messages and her memories. She wanted to find more about it, and the best way is to go back to her old home.

"Are you sure? Because it seems risky, and how can you believe in some random person's message?"

"I know, and that's why I wanted you to come with me. I can only trust you at this point." Her eyes were pleading for a yes answer.

Seeing my confused look, she continued, "It's just a matter of a single day. We start tonight and will be back by day after tomorrow."

"Baby, I can understand what you are going through. But leaving like this, I don't know what to say." Numerous thoughts were revolving in my head.

"Fine. I will go alone." She storm outside in anger.

"Wait, Trixie!"

I ran and grabbed her hand before she could go downstairs.