Jellyfish Season Never Again

Patrick rang my doorbell.
I grabbed my net and ran to the door.
"Hey Patrick!" I was always happier when with him. Authentically, of course. I didn't need happy pills to be around him.
Let's just say I can't think straight around him.
"Hey Spongebob! You ready to go jellyfishing?" He said, grasping his net.
"Aren't I always?" I skipped to the fields with him.

There was a fence surrounding the area, and smoke billowed in the distance.
Patrick and I followed the fence until we came to a muscular fish in a construction outfit.
"Sir, why is there a fence here?" I ask, trying to sound happy.
"The fields are being used to build a factory, kids. You better scram before you get hit by a truck." He said dismissively.
"But sir‐" I protested.
He waved his hand like we were just another couple of kids.
I took deep breaths in and out, trying to keep it together. I knew I should have taken my pills.
"Dude, you okay?" Patrick asked me, putting his arm around my shoulder to comfort me, and my cheeks warmed up.
I hesitated. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."
"Something tells that's not true."
"Look, I'm fine. Lets- let's just go home." I sniffled and rubbed my eyes.

I walked in through the door and was greeted by Gary.
"Meow."
"Yeah, Gary. I'll get you some food." I said dejectedly, grabbing his bowl and putting it on the counter.
I poured in food from the bag and set it back on the floor for him.
"There you go Gare-Bear."
He started eating as I went to lock the front door.
Suddenly the doorbell rang.
I put on a happy face and answered it.
It was Sandy.
"Oh, hey sandy! Surprise seeing you here!"
"This is your house. Where else would I go to find you?"
I got real nervous. Crap, why'd I say that?
"Nevermind. I came 'cus Patrick said you were upset. I was wondering if ya wanted to hang out."
"Sure, just give me a minute."

ReplyForward