Chapter 5: Cowboys from hell

A/N: Ooof, over a year since the last update! I am very sorry for that, and cannot come up with a good explanation other then I am sorry. I had major writersblock when I first started this chapter, but I really want to continue this! Thank you for your patience!

Chapter song: Pantera - Cowboys from hell

___________________________________________________

To tell the truth, getting recognition from the leading tribes in the city took longer than Lex had anticipated. Their group consisted of him, Ryan, Glenn and Zandra. Mostly it was Lex and Ryan who did the dirty work.
Zandra was a little princess. She completely refused to participate in overpowering the little street gangs to get credibility. «What if I break a nail?» Okay, she didn't actually say that, but it was close. Lex wasn't surprised. Zandra was just a helpless little girl after all. But Glenn? He just sat there all smug, and was even worse than Zandra with refusing.

He would say stuff like «You said you would get Zoot to eat out of your hand Lex.» and «I can't help you. You said you could manage this on your own!» It pissed Lex off. He would get even with the git. That was a promise!

This day had been particularly hard. Lex and Ryan had managed to snatch some electronics from a group of Jackals down in sector 9.
It had not been easy, but they had won.

Now they had to get food. That was the hardest thing to come by. Lex kept saying to himself that it would all be worth it. Soon they would be blessed with the riches of the Locos. They would eat like kings. Lex had heard the tribe had a whole train car filled with food and drinks. It wasn't  just some basic tinned beans, but meat, corn and even chocolate. This was luxury food nowadays. Only the biggest tribes in the city were lucky enough to get proper nutrition and proteins.

Lex and Ryan had snatched a tinned can of sweetcorn and some ketchup from the group of Jackals. What a joke! They could eat it themselves, but Lex knew he needed food to offer Zoot. Maybe they were lucky, and Zoot would be satisfied with the electronics they had snatched, but if that was the case then they needed loads. After all, the Locos was the most powerful tribe in this city.

The jackals on the other hand, were a small tribe who mostly consisted of those that didn't fit in any of the other tribes in the city, but were still bloodthirsty. That didn't mean they were easy to fight. Like their tribe name, they went after leftovers from the leading tribes in the city. This consisted both of food, slaves and more. They were cunning and often attacked in packs like a band of rabid dogs.

After a while of seeking out and beating small gangs and tribes in the city center, Lex and the others had finally managed to build up a reputation on the streets.
Still, Lex wasn't satisfied enough. To get to Zoot, he needed to take on something bigger, and offer him something valuable.

«Lex..»

Ryan stood beside him. They were both looking at a group of seven Demon dogs members. It seemed like the group was loading bounty into some backpacks or whatever. Lex knew he and Ryan could take a couple of them down, but not seven of them. He had to think quickly.

«We need that black duffel bag.»

Lex's eyes were fixated on two of the demon dogs carrying a filled duffel bag between them. Ryan wanted to roll his eyes, but getting in an argument with Lex now was pointless and stupid. He was tired of the fighting, but no matter what, he would always stand by Lex.

«You sure? We already got some walkie talkies from those Rooster kids yesterday.»

That was true, but even though they had gotten hold of those, it wasn't enough. They needed more.