CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER FIVE

Nma couldn't possibly remember all the names of the people she had been introduced to, her brain was reeling with different names and faces. She couldn't believe the blatant coldness of some of the women and their outrageous flirtation with Uche.

The men were good, very good; they complimented her beauty and jokingly asked Uche where he found her. She was yet to meet his parents though, and she was looking forward to meeting them.

"Look, my parents" he shouted so Nma could hear him over the music.

Nma stared at his parents; his mother took her by surprise, she wasn't tall as she expected, and she had a figure that could compete with a model's.

"Is that your mum?" she asked in awe. Looking at the woman, she wore an ankle length figure hugging gown that was glistering with stones.

"Surprised, she won't get fat that is her slogan" he replied, leading her to meet them.

Nma's gaze moved from his mother to his father, this was where he got his height and his looks.

"Well, if this is not my son" his mother said

"Good evening mum" he smiled, kissing her cheeks lingeringly

"Dad"

"Who is this angel with you?" his father asked.

"Oh, this is Nma" he introduced.

Nma was surprised when the man enfolded her in a bear hug and the woman shook her hands suspiciously.

"What do you do Nma?" the woman asked coolly.

"I am a designer, you may have heard of NMA collections" she replied coolly.

"Not that I can I remember, how long have you been in the business?"

" Twenty years"

"You don't look that old"

"I have been designing since I was a baby"

"Did you design what you are wearing?

"Yes I did"

"It is nice" she complimented.

"Thank you"

"So where did you find this son of mine?" his father asked

"In my boutique, he came to buy a tux" she beamed at him.

"A tux, Uche" his mother looked alarmed.

"Well a man has got to have an excuse for wandering in a boutique" he joked.

"So are you wearing her design?" the father joked.

"Yes he is" Nma agreed.

"Angela has been looking for you, I thought you were supposed to bring her?" his mother changed the topic just like that to Nma's dismay.

"Did she tell you that" Uche asked coldly

"Well that was the original plan as I heard this afternoon"

"Sorry to disappoint the two of you mum, but that wasn't the plan."

"I am most disappointed in you Uche, the girl was shattered"

"Cut that out mum, I didn't come here to hear you preach your golden girl, and besides I brought someone else in case you haven't noticed" he said firmly.

Nma was surprised at the way he talked to his mum, and at the same time happy to see the woman put in her place.

And who was this Angela she wondered, but she didn't have to wonder for long.