Part 5

A few hours after dawn, the sound of an engine woke me up. It seemed far and I first ignored it, but Ibecame alarmed when it got closer. In the dark of the night, I sawthe lights of a car getting closer.

I ran to hide myself in the bushes(there were no trees, just mountain, bushes, the horses and the car) and waited for less that 20 minutes until they arrived. The vehicle,obviously a militar jeep, carried four people and it's driver. Theyslowed down to take a look at us, but they didn't stop or causetrouble. Then, I was able to see the logo it had painted on thedoors. An eagle being impaled by two spears in a Spain flag decoratedthe vehicles. Looks like the traveler who told me everything wasright. They left, and I realised then that they were going South. ButI had tomorrow to think of stuff.

I decided continue sleeping andignoring the travelers. I was already asleep when I realised thatthey had no business nowhere more South than Valencia.

The rest of the way was uneventful.They wished me luck when we got to the crossroads and they turned to León and told me where would they be in half a year if things wentas expected. They also gave me enough water and food to get toMadrid.

 I refused at first, but they insisted. I thanked them a lotand began the two day journey I had ahead of me. The first 32 hourswere nice. The pure air of the Spaniard countryside and the soft heatof spring made me feel full of energy and optimistic. The last 12hours on my way to Madrid felt like hell. I had forgotten howgod-damn complicated was the land in the middle of thepeninsula. It was even worse that in the south (Southern Spain has a particularly complicated terrain). The hills were all the same,but in the last 3 hours of the walk they began to be partially burntand even to seem bombed. It was getting dark when I saw the firstbuildings.