Chapter 25

James gave me a half smile. “Can I show you something?”

            “Uh, sure,” I replied.

            He led me to the front of the restaurant and opened the door. I stepped out into the cold, wondering what on earth he was going to show me. He took me to the railing of the front porch, which was wood with a few chairs. It curved around the restaurant on the right. There was no one out but us.

Small lights lit the porch, but outside of the railing, a pale, grey light shimmered across the pavement. Tendrils of cold winter air nipped at my skin.

James rested his elbows on the railing and looked up. I leaned over and followed his gaze. It was the moon. A pool of silver miles away.

“It’s full…” I observed, admiring its beauty.

“I like to stare at the moon…wonder what it’s like to be close to it,” James mused.

I looked at him with a furrowed brow. He was opening windows into his soul that I had never caught a glimpse of.

He looked at me, his stormy eyes tugging at the crevices in my heart. Something passed between us in that moment. Something that made the emotions inside swirl and boil until it hurt.

I looked away, suddenly aware that my heart was beating rapidly. I could feel every nerve in my body.

Then, she entered my mind. It was like a bullet to my head. Like a reopened wound.

Heather.

What if she could see me? How would she feel? She would hate me. I was betraying her. Here I had just danced with her killer. This is Bucky Barnes. Not the Winter Soldier. I repeated over and over again in my head until it throbbed.

I had to get away from him.

“Eleanor, are you alright?” James asked, sensing my distress.

“I’m sorry. I need to go. I need to find my sister.”

“Let me go with you.”

“No, James. Please. Don’t,” I turned and walked to where the porch wrapped around to the right. Thankfully, he didn’t follow me.

Voices around the corner caused me to stop in my tracks. Familiar voices.

“We should go…they’ll be wondering where we are,” I heard my sister say.

“Wait. Let them be. Give them a chance, hmm,” Rogers replied. His voice was tender and soft.

I carefully peeked around the corner to catch a glimpse of them. Grace had her back against the wall and Rogers was leaning over her with his hand resting by her head.

“Hmm, yes. I guess my sister can have Barnes. At least I have you.”

Rogers smiled and leaned in closer to her. Then, he kissed her.

I gasped and retreated back, covering my mouth with my hand. I didn’t hear anything else. All I could do was stand in a stupor of shock. A pang of jealousy swept over me, which I swiftly pushed away. This was my sister. How could I be jealous? I should have been happy.

I was shaken out of my stupor by their footsteps approaching. I quickly pretended to be walking back to the front door.

“El! Where’s Barnes?” Grace called out. Of course she would ask that.

“Oh, hi Grace. Rogers,” I replied, trying to seem surprised to see them. “Oh uh, he’s inside I guess.”

“Oh…ok, well, we are getting ready to leave,” Grace replied, her arm tucked around Rogers’.

“Oh, alright. Good night then. Happy birthday, sis,” I said, giving her a smile.

“Thank you, sis. I had a wonderful time,” Grace replied, embracing me in a hug.

“Good. See you, Rogers. Get my sister home safely,” I said, pulling away from Grace.

“No worries. Good night, Stanton,” Rogers replied. They left, arm in arm. I watched as they said good bye to James, who was standing where I had left him.

After Grace and Rogers were out of sight, I approached James.

“You leaving too?” James asked.

“Yes, good night, James.”

I started down the steps, but he followed after me. As I reached the pavement, he touched my arm to stop me. “Wait. I can’t let you walk home. Let me take you.”

“No, James. I’d rather walk, thank you,” I replied harshly.

“Eleanor, it’s four blocks. You’ll be frozen.”

“Not if I walk fast,” I retorted, storming away from him.

“Eleanor! Please!” He called. I ignored him and kept a quick pace down the sidewalk.