Katherine's Letter to Nikita

Dear Nikita, 

As you read this, you might have been woken up, right as Stefan Salvatore had stabbed me with the knife that kills all passengers in the body. 

But it's no easy task being an ordinary parent to an extraordinary child. I failed in that task. And because of my prejudices, I failed you. I am haunted by how things might have turned out differently if I had been more willing to hear your side of things. For me it's the end. For you, a chance to grow old and someday do better with your own child than I did with mine. It's for that child that I give you my ring. I don't ask for your forgiveness or for you to forget. I ask only that you believe this: whether you are now reading as a vampire, I love you all the same, as I've always loved you and always will.

Your father had probably told you the truth of why I had to go back to Mystic Falls. I know I won't be the mother you always dreamed of, but I have fought for you when you were asleep. I tried my best trying to wake you, as a mother. 

But I failed. 

I am glad you are awake now and I hope you forgive me in the future. You can always come visit me at my grave in Mystic Falls. I love you. 

Love, 

Your Mother, Katerina