Chapter 1: The Nut House

Oh, for the love of God, why do these children take a million years to get out of the front door? I am going to be late opening the shop. "Come on you two! Mummy is going to be late!" zipping up both of their bags as Amber yells out from her bedroom, "Have you seen my shoes mum?" I want to bang my head on the counter, "You had them on your feet like two minutes ago?!" It's going to be one of those mornings. Jaxson yells out from the bathroom, "MUMMY I PEED MY PANTS AGAIN!" Whippers to myself, "Fucking hell, again?! Why is it so hard for boys to pee?" I say out louder, "Please tell me you pulled your pants down first before going to the toilet?!" I had my fingers crossed, "Kinda!"

I raced off back down the hall towards the bathroom, finding him standing in front of the toilet pee everywhere. Bloody hell why is toilet training boys so dam hard? I quickly pick him up placing him in the bathtub washing him again, while throwing his kindy clothes into the wash. I wrap a towel around my toddler while picking him up and racing back into his room to get him back into his kindy uniform. "Amber, have you found your shoes yet?" Please be dressed by the time I finish with your brother. "Yes, mummy I have!" Thank god, dressing my son as fast as I can. "Amber, can you take your brother and wait at the front door for me please!" I quickly raced into the bathroom cleaning up the pee as quickly as I can before racing out the front door to get the kids into the car. When did my life become such a shit storm?

I head on off to the children's school, looking at the clock on my dash crap I have five minutes to drop them off and get to work on time, never going to make it. Managed to get a park near the school, unbuckling both kids out of their car seats as we raced on off towards Jaxson's kindy room. Signing him in, put his bag and lunch away I quickly give him a kiss on his cheek and a quick hug before racing off. "Bye Jaxson, I love you buddy."

"Bye mummy and Amber I love you." He quickly takes off to play with his friends, I grab his sister's hand and take off towards her year one classroom. She puts her bag away pulling out her fruit snack and water bottle as she races inside leaving, her book bag and her homework bag for me to grab again, I caught her teachers' eye as I drop her bags off pulling out her sight words book, reading book and homework book in the baskets as her teacher makes her way over towards me.

A pretty right out of university teacher, I have no complaints about her at all, she looks young and fresh for the students, "Hi Paige, how are you today?" I smile at her, I do not have time for this, "Sorry Miss Wood, I am running late for work again. Can we pick this up in the afternoon?" She gives me a sad look, "Sorry it cannot wait." Oh, this doesn't look good, "What has happened?" She pulls me aside away from the other parents near us, "I feel like you should know that yesterday Amber was telling the class that her dad died in a car crash that is why he is never around."

What the hell? That is not true at all, I stood there looking shocked as hell at her.

"That is not true at all, he is very much alive. He moved down south and doesn't come up at all to visit them. Maybe to her, his died." I feel horrible having to say this about their father, hate what he's done to this family. "Ok, maybe when your home with her tell her that telling those type of stories is not nice. She does have a classmate who has just lost his mum it had upset him too." I covered my mouth in shock, "Oh my, yes, I will get right on it. I am so sorry she did that. I really need to go. Bye Amber!" I called out to her, "Yeah cya, mum!" 

I raced off towards my car and headed off towards the bakery hoping with all hope that my staff is good. Parking in my normal spot as I see that we are open and all looks good from the front, thank god I really wish I could get the kids in before and after school care more than I have them in now. Only two days a week for this is not enough it needs to be what I had asked which was five days for the pair of them. This is really starting to hurt me business-wise. "Harper, how has the morning been love?" Harper looks up from the cake she was icing, with a big smile on her face. "Hi Paige, all is well here. I see those kids of yours had fun with you this morning."