II: Odyssey

BERMUDA TRIANGLE, NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 1991

Conveyed by the Dead Reckoning 5457 vessel, Dr. Albert Zhaitan sailed across the seven seas along with his colleagues in search for the Z-DNR. They all knew about the powerfulness of the instrument, which can draw back the past when utilized. Dr. Zhaitan wanted it to possess in order to save the life of his daughter, who was murdered 20 years ago.

As they went along their journey, most of them lost their anticipation. They went out of food and water, causing six of his men to die in hunger. Only three of them were left.

They were sleepless, for day and night they searched for the preternatural device. But all they could see were nothing but the vast reaches of the ocean.

It was concealed by Robert Singed, the inventor, in a secluded island in the midst of Bermuda Triangle. He took it away from the exploitation of the public. It remained hidden, until the night came when D.R. 5457 collided with the peninsula.

It has a tall beacon that shone brighter than the stars in the heavens. The scientists stood enthralled, astonished by the colossal crumbling ruins of an ancient temple facing against them.

"This must be the island we are looking for!" Dr. Zhaitan out cried.

After 200 days of travel, they finally made it to the island.

They cascaded down the coast and went inside the temple straightaway. It was dark inside. They lit a torch and looked around the sanctuary. They found out various gemstones: diamonds, emeralds, pearls, rubies, and sapphires.

"Get the tote bag from the ship. We have lots of treasures to take," one said to another.

They were so glad to see such fortune. But those did not caught Dr. Zhaitan's attention. He was focalized on finding the Z-DNR.

He continued walking, until he reached an archway. It has a long flight of stairs which led him to the cellar. Inside, he saw the Z-DNR, engraved in a giant rock surrounded by basaltic magma.

"This is it," he whispered.

He gazed at the device with amazement.

"Albert, did you find it?" one of his men yelled from aboveground.

Dr. Zhaitan was dismayed and confounded. He wanted to utilize the device all by himself, so he came up with an atrocious scheme.

He brought out his drawknife from his pocket and sharpened it with a piece of rock. After that, he placed his right hand, where he held the knife, on his back and climbed upstairs. He saw the two of them carrying bags of gemstones they have stolen.

"There is nothing in there," Dr. Zhaitan said pointing out the cellar.

"Should we go back now?" one asked.

"No. We will not leave until we find the device," he said.

"But we are now extremely rich with these-"

"The Z-DNR is what we came for!" he verbalized.

They had no choice but to follow their foreman. They all continued walking until they have reached the dark end of the temple. There he stabbed his men from behind. Two strong knife thrusts to the heart killed the both of them. He left the place with bloodstained hands, and headed back to the cellar.

Dr. Zhaitan bridged across the magma with the help of volcanic rocks, made of cooled molten lava. He again, brought out his drawknife and carved out the device from the enormous boulder.

"I made it. I can now spend the rest of my life with you, Selene," he said as he lifted up the instrument.

He recaptured the past when he last saw Selene, his only daughter.

The Cosa Nostra, a secret terrorist group and criminal organization, once slaughtered the Americans living in New Jersey in the middle of the 19th century. Selene was caught up and was viciously attacked during her vacation in Atlantic City.

The last time he saw his daughter was on her funeral. Dr. Zhaitan could not accept her death at the young age of 21. He even tried to formulate a resurrecting serum, but he failed. That is why he was so eager to discover the Z-DNR when he had heard about Robert Singed and the lost device.

And now, it was under his possession.

The Z-Drive Nuclear Resonance is a time travelling device with two diametric nuclear reactors, a piezoelectric crystal, and a time-switch attached to a metal gauntlet.

The crystal, located at the core, acts as a transducer. It converts gamma radiation from super powered lasers into binding energy which is used to activate the reactors.

Dr. Zhaitan was astonished by the exquisiteness of the device as he wore it on his left hand.

He altered the time frame 20 years past and turned on the switch. The Z-DNR was triggered, which caused it to radiate light in all directions.

"I can't see!" he cried out as he was dazzled by the bright light.

He covered his eyes with his right arm and stepped back.

Later, the temple tremored. Stalactites started to fall down from above. He was alarmed and ran upstairs immediately. But before he could actually desert the temple, he collapsed.

The first reactor induced nuclear fission which caused him to diminish. It triggered a time warp later on. Dr. Zhaitan was teleported into the same spot but on a different time frame.

The piezoelectric crystal then redirected the energy into the second reactor, effectuating nuclear fusion which re-emerged him into his normal size.

He was shocked by the marvelous power of the Z-DNR. He stood up slowly and observed his body before redirecting his attention to the temple. It was no longer a ruin.

"I am back," he whispered with delight.

Dr. Zhaitan did not know what life awaits him. All he knew was...

...he succeeded.