V: Commitment

I was awaken by the sound of my alarm. I slowly went up and looked outside the window of my house.

Fields and trees filled my lungs as I took a deep breath. What a wonderful world indeed. But not to the ones affected by the global pandemic.

Many people suffer from hunger, anxiety, and depression because of the current situation. I was suddenly reminded of our upcoming mission.

But for now, I will spend my remaining time with the one that I love the most.

I picked up my phone and texted her.

"See you later!"

We planned on going out for a date today. I was so excited that I did not have enough sleep last night.

I took a shower and put on my best suit. I drove my car and stopped by the nearest convenience store to buy a drink. I was about to leave when I noticed a familiar face sitting on the bench outside.

He faced at my direction and was startled by my appearance.

"R-Raze, what a surprise!" He said.

I remained still and stared at him.

"Raze, uh, we need to talk," he added.

"Do we need to?"

He stood up and went closer to me.

"Let me go straight to the point," he sighed, "Listen, it just happened that I was at the hospital when the riot broke out. Apparently, I saw Luna and pulled her out. That's just it!"

I suddenly recalled everything I saw at the parking lot yesterday.

"Then why did you have to hold her hands, gaze intently into her eyes, and go to a place where no one was?!" I said in an ascending tone.

"Whoa, calm down Raze."

"How can I?" I rebuked him.

"Believe me... It was nothing."

"You are lying."

"No I'm not! I can't.... Besides," Daniel exclaimed, "I'm your best friend."

I turned my attention to the drink I was holding.

He's right. Maybe I'm just overreacting. He cannot lie to me. We were best of friends since then and we trust each other. He can't do that to me.

I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry if I distrusted y-"

"No Raze, I am sorry. I am the one who made you distrust me," he interrupted.

We remained silent for about a minute. Finally, I looked up to him and smiled. I approached him and patted his back. He was startled.

"You are forgiven," I whispered.

"Really? T-thank you." He shrugged his shoulders and smiled back. "Friends?"

He raised his right hand indicating a handshake. I chuckled.

"Best friends," I said as I reached out his hand.

••

I arrived at the park where we planned to go. I walked until I've reached the usual spot and saw her, wearing a simple white dress waving at me.

I sat beside her and stared at the sky. The weather forecast said it would rain today. But the weather seemed to get along with us.

Silence broke between us when she spoke.

"You know, I've been waiting for this day to come."

Suddenly, the cold wind blew and touched my face.

"The day that the two of us would be able to see the cherry blossoms together again," she added.

After a long time being apart from each other, here we are. Sitting at the park where we used to play and hang around. At the place where we both grew up, safe and sound.

I watched her stare at the trees, smiling.

Finally, I saw her smile again. The smile that brightens up the darkness. The smile that relieves my tiredness.

And most of all, the smile that made me fall in love with her.

••

We went for a walk, ate the lunch she cooked, and talked for hours about the experiences we had when we were apart.

I am happy now that the two of us are together. I couldn't ask for anything more.

But I was reminded of the reality when I received a call from Daemon.

"Hello?"

"Raze, are you feeling well?" Dr. Zach asked.

"Yes I am. Thanks to Luna." I glanced at her who was now looking at me.

"I understand. But I care about your condition. I'm afraid we have to reschedule our travel."

"N-no sir. We don't have to."

"Are you sure?"

It is very hard for me to leave her. But if it is for the sake of the world, I have no choice.

"Yeah."

"I see. But have you told her yet?"

I sighed. "I was just about to."

"Well, good luck to you. I'll see you tomorrow morning." The call ended.

"What did he say? What will you do tomorrow?" She interrogated.

I took a deep breath before answering.

"We will sail the Bermuda Triangle in search for the Z-DNR."

"But Raze, we were just having time together. Don't say you'll leave me again."

"The world is counting on us. We have to take action."

"But Raze..." She bursted out in tears. "It's dangerous. I... I can't afford to lose you."

I hugged her and kissed her forehead.

"Don't worry, I assure you that nothing bad will happen."

I wiped her tears and looked her in the eyes.

"I will return," I uttered.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

••

That night, I couldn't help but to think of her. She was hurt...

...and so do I.