Chapter 5: A Backstory

As we load the boat with our equipment, I ask my aunt why I'd never met her. I mean, my mom had never even mentioned her before and she never came to visit. "When I was only 6, I ran away. They  couldn't find me. I hid here while they stayed in the US. When I heard that your parents died and that I was your last hope of family, I surrendered and took you in. 

"Why did you run away?" I asked. "Our lives were strict. We didn't have much money so we went to a terrible school where they treated us like rats. When we went home we worked until we passed out. Then our grandfather, who lived with us would whip us, and we'd get back to work. At night we would do house chores and sleep on the porch. During the winter we would sleep in the main room with everyone else. Of course our parents hated to do it to us, but it was what we needed to stay alive. When I left I was a stowaway on several planes until I ended up here. I stole leftover food and almost was caught a few times. My family didn't have the money to search for me so they left me be. Either way, they didn't have to feed me anymore. It was my sister, your mother that I missed most of all. We had been a team, but I had abandoned her. Some kind folk took me in after I told them that my father left and my mother died. I told them that I had traveled a long way and needed a home." As I listened, I realized that my aunt had a backstory, as we all did. She had been walking on glass shards even at a young age. My aunt noticed that I had ceased listening and ended her story. "Oh dear! I'll keep us here all day if I keep talking! C'mon! Lets board!"