Chapter 18

Thank you for reading and voting!

"Yumi..." Jeremie gave her a look one might give a predatory animal right before they try to cautiously approach it. "This is something Saphire and I have discussed at length and I agree that Saphire joining Kadic would be a good thing for all of us."

Yumi stared at Jeremie. Of course, those had spent nearly two days together; of course, she would have gotten into his head. She had pulled together some "amazing invention" and now Jeremie was instantly impressed.

She heard Saphire sigh in relief and she wanted to snap back at her, but Jeremie walked over to her slow and steady and got in her line of view.

"Think about it: Saphire can't keep sleeping here at the factory. She needs a proper place, a bed to sleep in, clean clothes to wear, and food to eat."

Yumi didn't want to think about it. Because that meant that Saphire would be sticking around for longer.

"It is all I have ever wanted as a child — to go to school on Earth like all the other Earthians," Saphire said quietly.

Every time she said that word — Earthians — as if she were some little alien, which to be fair, she partially was, Yumi wanted to recoil. She didn't need a reminder that a living, breathing human had grown up on a virtual planet that currently housed almost a million other Lyokian citizens.

"Do you really think it's that easy?" Yumi asked Saphire. "You can't just show up in the middle of the school year and demand entry. You said you discussed this at length," She frowned at Jeremie. "but did you even go through all the scenarios and possibilities of what will happen if anyone finds out...what she is?!"

Jeremie paused. Clearly, the only one who had done any of the "discussing" was Saphire. Yumi watched as she walked over to the Supercomputer and set the prism down on the table with a loud thump. She returned with a stack of papers, which she held out to Yumi.

"What is this?" Her eyes scanned over the documents.

"I have done my research. I have a cover story. I have the appropriate documentation. I am prepared." She answered simply, never breaking eye contact with Yumi.

Yumi didn't like how easy it was for Saphire to switch between innocent and vulnerable to confident and courageous. It felt manipulative. It felt wrong.

Still, Yumi scanned the papers and it was hard to deny she really had done her research. She had an acceptance letter with the correct Kadic Academy logo and even Principal Delmas' signature at the bottom. She had medical documents listing all the shots and vaccines she had obtained from childhood to present time. She even had a portfolio listing her personal info: age, birthday, height, weight, blood type, hobbies, interests.

"Saphire Stonez, huh?" Yumi laughed rudely. "Real original."

Saphire scowled at her. "It is the name my Lyokian father passed onto me. It is a very respected name on Lyoko. It is the name I will wear and carry forth with me, regardless of the world I live in."

"What's the cover story?" Ulrich asked, hoping to steer the girls away from another incoming argument.

A corner of Saphire's mouth quirked up. "I am an orphan who has recently been adopted by a family who wishes to send me to Kadic for a proper education."

Yumi's mouth dropped.

"Wow, that's not bad. How'd you come up with that?"

"Not I," She smirked at Yumi. "Yumi did. I am not nearly as good at lying as she is."