CHAPTER 4: Page 2

1941 came, and Germany was advancing all over Europe. Holland’s economy was rapidly going bust, and we couldn’t do anything about. People used to find places anywhere they could: farms, brothels, cellars, basements, attics, apartments, plantations, even in farm barns as well.

On 20 April 1941, Miep & I went to the German Consulate after she’d been summoned there. We were challenged twice on arrival, and twice we presented the summons. The second guard directed us into a room, second door on the right. As we both entered, the guard stuck his hand in front of me and said, “Wait! You go to up the stairs and first door on the left.”. I did as he instructed, and in that room was full of officials. I sat down at the desk, as the stubborn-looking gentleman instructed. A man what looked like a policeman began questioning me in huge bulks, and I answered them all to the best of my ability. He then opposite the office in a waiting room, which was full of sad faces. I sat down, and waited for 1 hour 45 minutes before I saw Miep again. The guard came and said, “Your wife is ready to leave, Mr Gies.” And I walked back downstairs. She showed me her now invalid passport, and we left.

In the meantime, Miep had 3 months to return to Vienna and she insisted she would remain in Holland. After being told marrying a Dutchman would allow her to remain in the Netherlands, she immediately wrote to her Uncle in Vienna and requested her birth certificate. Meanwhile, she had her passport to get round. Mr Frank came up with a splendid idea, and Miep got her birth certificate. After that, we both went to the City Hall and set a date to get married on July 16, 1941.

On July 16, 1941, we treated ourselves to ride on the tram. We walked into the City Hall, waited and then our party was called. Mr Frank with Anne had come along, our landlady Mrs Stoppelman, Mr & Mrs van Pels with some other guests. Miep’s hand gripped my hand tight, as she held onto her invalid passport and birth certificate. I had to have my passport to prove I was a Dutch-born national, and then the clerk said, “The bridegroom’s passport please”, checked it over and gave it back to me. “The bride’s birth certificate and passport please”, the clerk demanded and checked it over. He said, “Yes. Go to the 3rd door on the right down the hall”, and we did. We were then married. Mr Frank insisted we had a party in the office the next day, so he closed the office. We walked in the next day, July 17, with so much food on the tables. I said to him, “Mr Frank, this really was not necessary.”, he brushed it off like it was nothing and then Miep said to him, “Too much food”, and his reply was, “Nonsense! It’s nice to have something to celebrate in these grim times.”. It really was actually, and on the party went. 1941 was a good year.