German Language

Let's get to know about German (Deutsch)...

History:

German language begins with the high German consonant shift during the migration period, which separated Old High German (OHG), dialects from Old Saxon. This sound shift involved a drastic change in the pronunciation of both voiced and voiceless stop consonants (b, d, g and p, t, k, respectively).

+++

One of the major languages of the world, German is a native language to almost 100 million people worldwide and the most widely spoken native language in the European Union. German is the third most commonly spoken foreign language in the EU in terms of overall speakers. German is also the second most widely taught foreign language in the EU after English at primary school level (but third after English and French at lower secondary level), the fourtj most widely taught non-English language in the US (after Spanish, French and American Sign Language), the second most commonly used scientific language and the third most widely used language on websites after English and Russian. The German-speaking countries are rank fifth in terms of annual publication of new books, with one tenth of all books (including e-books) in the world being publish in German.

German is an inflected language with four cases for nouns, pronouns and adjectives (nominative, accusative, genitive, dative), three genders (masculine, feminine, neuter), two numbers (singular, plural) and strong and weak verbs. It derives the majority of its vocabulary from the ancient Germanic branch of the Indo-European language family. Some of it's vocabulary is derived from Latin and Greek, amd fewer are borrowed from French and Modern English. German is a pluricentric language, with its standardized variants being (German, Austrian and Swiss Standard German). It is also notable for its broad spectrum dialects, with many unique varieties existing in Europe and other parts of the world. Due to the limited intelligibility between certain varieties and Standard German, as well as the lack of an undisputed, scientific difference between a "dialect" and a "language" , some German varieties or dialect groups can be described as either "languages" or "dialects".

xxx

Ya! Please Vote, Comment and Share.
Let's get it bwibwi... *wink*

@GorgeousBwiii√