Chapter 3

Bates entered the hospital room slowly. Anna looked up,"Are you my husband?"
"Yes, Anna. The doctor says that you will recover, and you might be able to remember some things." Bates said standing up.
"Sit down. I want to ask you some questions."
"Of course."
"First I want to know about myself. What kind of person am I? Did I love you?"
"You are a very kind, optimistic person. You find a solution to every problem. You loved me very much. And I love you so much, Anna." He grabbed her hand.
"You seem like a very sweet person. I wish that I could remember you," Anna paused,"Can you tell me more? Like how we met and fell in love."
"Well we met at the Abbey..."
"I work there as a lady's maid, right?"
"Not at first. You were a housemaid then. I came to the Abbey as his lordship's new valet. Many people thought that I wasn't suited to the work due to my limp." He pointed to his cane.
"Why do you have a limp?"
"I was injured in the war. I fought in the war with Lord Grantham."
"Oh. Please continue."
"Lord Grantham eventually decided to sack me due to my injury. I was very upset by this, but you cheered me up a bit. You brought me a tray of food. Later that day, his lordship decided to let me stay on just as I was leaving."
"I like this story. It's too bad that it's actually my story that I can't remember."
"Yes. Well, that's enough storytelling for you today. I'll be back tomorrow. And maybe I can see about getting you out of here."
"Ok. See you tomorrow then." she smiled.
"Can I kiss you before I go?" he asked her gently.
"It will feel like kissing a stranger to me."
"I understand. I'm sorry." Bates walked away with a heavy heart.