Chapter Seven

The Pig was parked outside the farmhouse when Riah went back for breakfast after his early morning rounds through the crops. He stopped, staring and wondering why the fuck Gansey would be at his house at the ass crack of dawn. Something bit at the back of his brain; a vague memory of Ivy inviting everyone for breakfast so that they could all hang out.

"Fuck," he muttered, starting back toward the house.

Everyone had agreed. He'd fucking agreed. He'd been stupidly hyped up on friendship and the press of Adam's knee against his own and the small smiles they'd been shooting each other and the warmth of the pub and the heady joy of togetherness.

It had been such a long time since they'd all been together.

Riah rubbed at his eyes and then wearily drug his hand across his shaved head. They were fucking early, too. When he'd agreed to the asinine plan the previous night, he'd had a faint hope that he'd already be back outside and busy with farm work by the time they all arrived. It wasn't like his life was on a user friendly schedule by any means. Even with the warm glow of friendship, he had thought he'd probably miss the whole stupid affair. But apparently Ivy was one step ahead of him. Riah thought perhaps he should really give the sweet little creature more credit.

A dark thrill of excitement pulsed beneath his skin at the thought of seeing Adam again. He hated it, and then hated himself for it.

"Add it to the list," he muttered.

Sighing, he rolled his shoulders and opened the front door, stopping in the short foyer. A wave of heat greeted him through the open door leading to the rest of the house. From what he could see already, the kitchen windows were fogged up and everything had a slight sheen of condensation. It had been a long time since so many people had been in the quaint little farmhouse kitchen.

"I'm going to kill them, Gansey." Dorian was pacing; swooping back and forth, agitated and gesticulating violently. "I want you to know that."

The only response was a placating hum.

Cold November air followed him in through the green front door. He shut it quietly, toeing off his boots and hanging up his jacket. He stepped in through the living room and into the cramped dining nook. He found himself a suitable wall and leaned against it, studiously refusing to look at Adam. Dorian was ranting a stream of words he couldn't quite follow. Something about how Gansey's parents were posturing against the naming ceremony, inviting fifty more people and renting out the hall in Aglionby. Gansey was slumped back in a chair, his black-framed glasses low on his nose and his coral polo rumbled. It wasn't that he wasn't listening to his boyfriend. It just seemed, to Riah at least, that the rant had been going on for a while.

He smirked. "Morning, Midget."

"Don't even, Asshole," Dorian whirled on him. "You had better be free today. We've another fifty guests to plan for." He focused back on Gansey, who simply looked up at him with an expression that was equal parts exhausted and adoring. "And another thing— love of my life, owner of my heart, father of my child— your sister..."

Riah tuned the colourful short stack out.

Ivy and Shawn stood cooking at the oven, their backs to the group. Their shoulders were moving in a way that looked suspiciously like laughter. Whatever they were making smelled impossibly good. Riah watched as Shawn whispered something into Ivy's ear. The other boy shook with silent giggles and rested his head on Shawn's shoulder.

Something ached inside Riah— some hollow want he'd gotten used to ignoring when he was mostly alone.

His eyes finally found Adam Parrish. Adam was propped up with one shoulder against a wall and he was already looking at Riah, a small smile creasing his lips and revealing the dimple in his right cheek. His dusty brown hair was still ruffled from bed and he had on a loose, grey hoodie. His arms were loosely crossed and he was biting at one end of the string as he smiled, his blue eyes glittering in the early morning sun streaming in through the window. The cuffs of his hoodie covered most of his hands, and Riah could only spot his fingertips as he moved. His gaze instinctively travelled down Adam's body, catching at the faded jeans that clung to Adam's thighs like a second skin. Riah forced his eyes back up to Adam's face. He looked soft and mousy and... so cute.