It's Over 9000!

Alrighty, welcome to my Ted Talk.

Today's rant is about overpowered readers in reader inserts or OC's (Original Character). The amount of times I've seen OP (Over Powered) readers and OC's in fanfiction is wild. Now there's nothing wrong with having someone being OP it's just the fact of how you handle them. I see this in some My Hero Academia fanfics and oh my goodness Fairytail fanfics are the real culprits.

To be fair I don't read many fanfics in which the main character is an OC, I mainly read reader inserts so I can't speak too much on that topic. I can understand having an OP character could just be fun in general or can be cool to have this badass character. But it's no more fun if the reader/OC is just stealing all the important moments/fights from the main characters/side characters of the original series.

Like sometimes when I read OP Izuku fanfiction, which I like to read a lot, sometimes hard-earned moments just don't feel right to me or like it just gets boring because you already know the result of the fight.

But don't even get me s t a r t e d on Fairytail fanfics with the reader inserts. So when it comes to Fairytail I mainly read xReaders and one-shots. I think I've been enough in my time to get the gist of things. Personally, I feel as if 90% of the Fairytail fanfics out there the reader or OC will always be a dragon slayer, god slayer, or some type of slayer and they will always almost be OP.

To me, it just gets a bit boring because you want to read these fanfics and see what different people come up with but then it feels like that there's nothing to read because most of them are the same with some different plot lines and moments.

In addition to readers/OC's being OP it's like any fights that other characters had or just big fights in general with emotion put behind it just becomes devoid of life because the reader/OC is so OP fights don't even matter anymore. Side characters kind of have no meaning anymore either is the reader/OC just takes up all the fights and does the work for everyone. Then the Reader/OC ends up with a lot of people falling for them, in which there's nothing wrong but I wish I could see more variety with it.

Why can't the reader/OC be a normal wizard with a normal amount of skill and works hard towards their goal. Maybe they have some kind of rare magic and it's hard for them to master it and improve because nobody teaches it so they're by themself. The reader could just be a normal civilian and his/her house get torn to pieces by Natsu or some other character as they destroy a town fighting a villain. The reader/OC could be part of a dark guild or belong to another guild. Maybe the reader/OC has a lot of power but doesn't like to use it for some reason.

There are so many possibilities that could be used when it comes to OP characters. You can honestly have an OP character that can beat the shit out of anybody while still having the other main/side characters be important and relevant to the story aside from any love interest.

Thank you for wasting your time here and listening to me complain. :]