Shakespeare

ohOHOHOHO

so it begins... voidalicia

It's time to address the situation.

I'm not sure if stories are written this way because the author is lazy or they're just 12 years old and haven't learned proper grammar and just writing in general, or maybe English isn't your first language and it's hard to write (this one is more forgivable), BUT I am so tired of people writing their stories like I'm about to read Romeo & Juliet.

Sometimes I look at the cover of a book and I read the description and I just sigh. Because I know what lies ahead of me and it's a world of never-ending pain. It's almost like being strapped to a chair with my eyes peeled open and being forced to watch Disney's horrible live-action remakes and horrible reboot cartoons.

So you must not be aware of what I'm talking about since I'm only complaining. I am talking about how dialogue and sometimes actions are being written nowadays in fanfiction (this makes me sound like some old 1970 fanfic connoisseur).

I shall now give an example

••••••••
Marshall: "But Chelsea why?!"

Chelsea: *smokes cigarette* "Cuz I can."

Marshall: "That's not an explanation and you know it.."

Chelsea: "If there was an explanation for everything and then the world would be chaos."

Marshall (whisper to self): *phone ringing* Damn I gotta take this...

Marshall: We'll talk about this later, make sure you pick up my calls. *walks off and talks on the phone*

Chelsea: *drops cigarettes and steps on it* I won't
••••••••

What's the point of this? I genuinely want to know because I'm confused.

When I read things like this I can feel my soul be sucked from my body and I ascend into the upper atmosphere. I just evaporate.

It ruins the mood of the story for me and everything dels like it's supposed to be sarcastic. Are things writing like this because one doesn't know how to write a proper story?

I say give it a go because almost anything is better than THAT in my opinion.

And yes I stopped the quotation marks on purpose because some fanfics don't even use them. They're just like "lol this my first book sorry if I'm bad🤣😝"

I swear I can feel my brain melting and being turned into a bowl of gloop.

I'm not sure if I can even begin to explain my pain for fanfics like this. I just don't like it. I'm not sure if it's a personal preference because I honestly can't even attempt to give any sort of constructive criticism as to how to fix this or why this type of writing is good. The only use I see is if you're trying to write a play that you will act out.

It just feels dumb, takes me out of whatever plot I was engaged in, and I personally think it's lazy.

If I can come up with any type of feedback I'll update this, but until then let me know your thoughts before I go insane.