The Useless Doppelganger

In the reader insert fanfics and OC fanfics I've read I have noticed in my times that people tend to get rid of some characters they don't like (In BNHA it's mainly Mineta), which is fine because it's your story. This usually doesn't happen very often but sometimes when the authors replace a character in the show with a reader/OC, but does absolutely nothing with them.

My friend says she sees this type of thing in The Flash fanfics the most. I don't read Flash fanfics as much as she does so I don't have much input there.

So what I mean by the author does nothing with the reader/OC is that they replace you/the OC with a character that was originally in the show, but with the twist that you/the OC just speak the same lines as the character that is replaced.

So here's an example:

The original show:

"I hate you Vanessa!" Stacy shouted from the top of her lungs.

"Okay, that's not my problem." Vanessa snapped back. Zack just stood there in between the two girls not sure of what to say or do.

"Hey how about we all just try to be friends here."

"Shut up Zack!" Both of the girls shouted.

The fanfic: (I'm going to call the OC Jason)

"I hate you Vanessa!" Stacy shouted from the top of her lungs.

"Okay, that's not my problem." Vanessa snapped back.  Jason stood in between the two girls trying to think of a way to calmly end the argument.

"Hey how about we all just try to be friends here."

"Shut up Jason!" Both of the girls shouted.

I hope I sort of got my point across I'm not sure if I did the example very well. But the story just feels like your reading what you originally watched in the show. What's the point of me reading your fanfic if it's just re-writing the show? If anything your just writing the transcript.

It annoys me because in my opinion fanfics are what the fans write and put little twist on the original content that makes it fun and more interesting. Writing fanfiction can even sometimes inspire people to write their own original stories. So when you just have this character that's literally a carbon copy of the character than they replaced from their personality to dialogue it just gets boring.

You already know what's going to happen in the show and having this character that doesn't add or change anything in any way just gets tiring and boring. Why would I read the show when I could just watch it?

So please, my unofficial and unprofessional advice just says when you're making a reader insert or an OC please give them some individuality and personality along with their own unique lines. It's just my opinion and I can't speak for anything else, but I wouldn't want to read a transcript so go wild and just write something different, not a carbon copy of the show please.

Thank you for wasting your time here!('∀'●)♡