Chapter 9

Delta scowled as he got off his motorcycle. He was standing on a hill overlooking Steel Cove base when he saw Aster hopped into a van. The van started fleeing the scene, leaving the base blazed in flame. Delta ducked as another explosion came from the base. Finally, the flame died down and the dust settled. He walked down to the ruins of the SC base. Everything was destroyed in the fire; the worst part was Aster had gotten away. He pulled out his phone.

"Sir, the SC base is being attacked and it is demolished. No one is left but me." Delta reported, "How are we going to deal with this?"

"Get to Dawn Valley. I will be waiting," Kingfisher replied.

The call ended. Delta placed it back in his pocket.

He started driving to Dawn Valley. He thought about Nightingale. She was still alive. She had to be, probably somewhere out there. Maybe she joined a rebel group. He was determined to find her.

It was near dusk when Delta arrived. Dawn Valley consisted of five main buildings. There were two labs, one armory, and two dorm areas. High fences surrounded the complex with security checkpoints throughout the compound.

Delta passed through the gate and headed toward a building with the sign "BRICK LAB" near the entrance.

This inside of the building had a very simple design. Corridors branched out from the small lobby area after entering from the front door. There was no windows but the place was very well lit and everything looked very white and bright. There were different doors with labels throughout the corridors and at the end of one corridor was one big door labeled, "PROJECT ONYX"

Delta entered the PROJECT ONYX room. There was a glass breaking noise and glass shards fell to the floor.

"Another failed experiment," one of the scientists muttered.

"What's happening?" Delta asked.

The said scientist sighed.

"We still have trouble figuring out the right calculations. If we want Onyx to be able to carry a minigun without hurting him we need just the right amount of strength," the scientist tried to explain.

Delta sighed, still not ready to take down Aster yet. Delta left the room and walked out of the building. He headed to the dorm area. The inside of the dormitory looked very different from the lab. At least it was more welcoming. He went into an elevator in the lobby. The elevator had a dial that you could turn to go to different floors. Delta turned the dial and he heard five ticks. The elevator started shooting up immediately. He waited until the doors opened and walked out of the elevator. There was a long hallway lined with numbered doors. Delta walked to the end of the hallway. He knocked on the door to the left.

"Who is it?" The voice asked.

"Delta," Delta said.

The door opened. A girl looked at him and smiled faintly.

"How did you get off of Jack's wrath?" Delta asked.

"A friend helped me," the girl decided.

"So, how much is your bounty now, Karen?" Delta crossed his arms and leaned casually against the wall next to the door.

"Let's talk about this inside," Karen decided. She opened the door wide and gestured Delta inside. Delta entered the room and Karen closed the door behind her.

Karen didn't look like herself. She was wearing a white dress, not her normal punky torn up clothing. She looked like a normal girl you could find in a nice neighborhood.

"Why do you look different?" Delta wondered.

"I just want a change of style. I didn't really like what I wore before," Karen replied

It was a small room. A small table sat at the left corner with a laptop on top. Sticky notes and books littered the table. Next to the table was a small armchair. A small bed on the right side of the room next to the window. There were two white doors at the far end of the room. Karen told Delta to take a seat and wait. She then slid open one of the doors, got in, and quickly shut it behind her. Delta caught a glimpse and it looked to be a small furnished room. There were voices coming from the inside of the room. Quietly, Delta walked over to the white door. He pressed his ear against the door and listened.

"Karen stop being an idiot. We both know we can't trust that SC guy," said a voice.

"But he seems sincere!" Karen replied.

"Your task was to eliminate him. That was what Clare ordered," the voice said firmly.

"Listen, just give him a chance," Karen finally said.

"I've been waiting here for you to take him out! You are wasting time and we don't have the luxury to wait," the voice continued, "Clare won't be proud to call you her sister if you dishonor us!"

"You don't understand, Kate," Karen muttered.

"I know you two are friends but it doesn't mean you can disobey Clare's order!" Kate replied.

"Fine," Karen said at last.

Delta backed up from the door. He tried to open the window next to the bed and jump when he heard Karen's voice. Delta turned around and pulled out his raven. He shot once and missed.

Karen sighed. "You had to do it the hard way," she muttered.

Karen rolled to her right and fired. The bullet passed through Delta and shuttered the glass on the window. Delta's vision blurred. He blacked out and slowly fell to the floor.

Karen sighed. A tear went down her eye.

"Goodbye Delta," Karen whispered as she moved his limped body.

Karen knocked on the white door and it opened.

Kate, who was wearing a black shirt, jeans and combat boots, emerged from the room and ask, "You took care of him?"

"Yea," Karen muttered, not wanting to meet Kate's eyes.

"Where is he?" Kate asked.

"He's dead. I hid the body," Karen replied.

Kate smiled, "Let's go." She opened the window and jumped out. Karen followed. Kate walked over to a motorcycle and got on.

"Get on the back," she ordered. Karen obeyed. The engine roared. Karen took a last glance at the building as they drove off.

It was almost midnight when they arrived. Amazon Valley was surrounded by tall trees and rivers. In the middle of a large plain stood a modern building. Kate parked the motorcycle on the long driveway.

"Go talk to Nightingale. She might be able to cheer you up," Kate suggested.

Karen walked into the building. There were three elevators. Two were in the front of the circular building and one was at the back of the building. Karen took the one at the back of the building. Inside was a number pad and a dial. She ticked the dial five times and press four on the number pad. Then she pushed the green button next to the dial. The elevator's doors closed and started ascending in supersonic speed. Karen grabbed onto the handlebars. She was being jerked forward and upward. Just as abruptly, the elevator stopped. Ding. The door opened.

Karen walked into the long hallway lined with doors. Each door was labeled with a name; a keypad and a dial were on the right side of the door. Karen walked up to the door labeled, "NIGHTINGALE"

Karen pulled out a keycard and slid the card under the keypad. The light flashed green. She shoved the keycard back into her pocket and turned the dial. Click. She pressed her hand on the door and it slid open. Nightingale was sitting on her bed and looked up at her.