X - The Arrow's Mark Pt. 1

Note: This chapter is set around the time of the middle of the Hobbit novel/during the Desolation of Smaug movie. The following chapters will continue upon this timeline, and any large jumps will be clearly stated.

Part 2

The sun was setting on Mirkwood. Tauriel, in her most recent report, had told Thranduil that her scouts had found and destroyed multiple spider nests, yet they still crawled everywhere. He wondered what the fate of Mirkwood would be if she had not assumed the position of Captain of the guard. Thranduil did not venture far into the forest, but even stepping outside the palace it was very easy to see the deterioration of his world. It sickened him greatly.

Really, everything had begun to. Nearly all events Thranduil heard of were sending Middle Earth deeper into this spiral of destruction. However, one thing in particular disturbed him above all else. The dwarf Thorin. Well, rather, Thorin’s mission. Thranduil could not believe the timeframe the dwarf had chosen to reclaim a kingdom. Of course, it was beyond the dwarf to chose a more peaceful time to stir things best left untouched.

The spiders, the orcs, and worst of all, the dwarves had became the bane of Thranduil’s time. And, just like that, another problem found its way onto Thranduil’s growing list.

“What is it you need, Legolas?” Thranduil asked with a sigh as his son approached him. It seemed that now not even his balcony could bring him privacy. However, he would not turn his son away. He glanced over his shoulder to see his son, and felt a heaviness lay upon his heart. Legolas had grown into a magnificent warrior. It was a shame, really. Battle would surely plague Middle Earth in time, and it seemed as if Legolas would have a position in it.

“Tauriel. Father, she has gone.” Legolas said.

“Gone?” Thranduil questioned. He forced himself to remain stoic, but a small panic had risen in his chest.

“Unfortunately so, yes. She is in pursuit of the dwarves.” Legolas said.

“She heard my order, Legolas. No one was to enter or exit this kingdom. She disobeyed. I will not have her think that friendship with the lordling grants her superiority above others.” Thranduil said. So many were lawless. Did they not realize that utter chaos is the opposite of order? Thranduil could hardly bear all of his other dilemas, but this was far too much.

“She did not leave to disobey. She left to help. Tauriel sees it as her purpose to aid them.” Legolas insisted.

“Her purpose? Her purpose, Legolas, is to serve her people.”

“Perhaps,” Legolas said, in a lower tone, “she thought she moved to do just that.” Thranduil spun on his heel to face Legolas.

“Do you remember, nearly six centuries ago, when she sought to join the Guard?” Thranduil asked. “You begged for my pardon for her. You did not want to see her at risk. You then allowed her to follow her own path, even though it was obvious it pained you to be apart from her. Legolas, do you ever think that she might not love you as you love her? Tauriel ran straight to danger, knowing you would follow. She does not care about your safety, or your feelings. You would do well to remember that, Legolas.” 

“Who said I loved her?” Legolas asked quietly. He was visibly hurt by his father’s harsh words.

“You did. Last night. I heard you.” Thranduil said.

-+-+-+-

-The Previous Night-

Legolas sat beside Tauriel, watching out over the river. 

“It is such a dark time we live in, Legolas.” She said sadly, with a small sigh. Legolas wanted to assure her that it was not, but it would not be a truth, and he did not enjoy lying. Instead, he said nothing. “You saw the spiders. Fought them. I am sure that you also realize how great the issue is becoming.” She insisted. It seemed that she was demanding a reply.