III - A Tale from Six Centuries Prior Pt. 3

Thranduil had seen Tauriel a few times in her years. He briefly recalled Elhael leaving the Guard for a time to tend to a pregnancy, and Camben speaking once of a daughter who had shown an aptitude for archery. This girl now stood in front of him, clad in the gown he'd ordered be made for her. The emerald tone suited her. It was slightly amusing to watch her surprise. Of course, this surprise was very justified. His own son displayed it as well upon hearing of the new arrangements. Tauriel was small for her age, Thranduil noted. She was short and very thin, even for their kind, but did have some muscle in her upper body. As her father had said, she would make a good archer.

    "My Lord," She said, taken aback. "If it is my place to ask, why?"

    "Do you not wish to have a guardian, Tauriel?" Thranduil asked, unconsciously allowing venom to seep into his voice. Really, he knew that she was not ungrateful, but surprised. But his emotions were now delicate and he did not wish to be questioned. She trembled. Thranduil sighed, and he softened. "I knew your parents. They were fantastic warriors. With the appropriate tempering, you could rise above and beyond their level of skill. To do this, I intend to offer both the service of myself and my son for your training." He spoke as he approached her. "If you do not wish to serve Mirkwood in the Guard, I will support any path you choose."

    Thranduil did not wish to convey his true interest in Tauriel. While her potential was a factor in his decision, it was not the largest. Thranduil had always wanted a daughter. He had heard of Elrond's Arwen, beautiful and gifted, and yearned for one himself. When he spoke with Gilrin, she felt that the kingdom, at the time, required more attention than another child. Only a few moons prior to her death had they made the decision to try for another child. In complete honesty, he would not have made the decision to care for Tauriel had he not been presented with one horrible fact. Upon the inspection of Gilrin's body, it was found that she was with child. Though it pained him that Gilrin had not yet come to him with this information, it was his driving factor in accepting Tauriel.

    "I do not know how to appropriately express my thanks." Tauriel said, interrupting his thoughts.

    "Then do not." Thranduil said. A small smile spread across his lips. "Would you like to meet my son?" He inquired.

    "Yes, of course." Tauriel nodded.

    "Legolas," Thranduil called, not turning from Tauriel. "She wishes to meet you." With his words, the doors behind him opened. Legolas strode in. "A moment, Legolas?" Thranduil requested quietly. Tauriel, taking this cue, turned and walked to the opposite side of the room. Thranduil waited until she was away to begin speaking.

    "This is her?" Legolas asked, surveying the girl.

    "Yes. Do you see potential in her, for an archer?" Thranduil asked of his son.

 -+-+-+-

    Tauriel was beautiful, Legolas decided. Her endless hair fell in a surprising shade of red. He caught a glimpse of her face with its green eyes and pale skin. Legolas then focused on the parts of her that his father requested. She stood very straight, her back arched, and her head turned sideways. It was a hunter's pose, no doubt one that she learned from her father. When she moved, the muscles of her upper body became quite noticeable to Legolas. This girl could make a glorious hunter.

    "She is fair," Legolas murmured to his father.

    "I did not ask you to assess her beauty, Legolas." Thranduil said rather sharply.

    "She would make a fine huntress." Legolas corrected. "Will I train her?" 

    "If you concern yourself with her progress and not her looks, then yes." Thranduil said. "I will go now. You may speak with her, then escort her to her chambers. Do not speak to her of your mother or my wound." Legolas nodded. He watched his father go. He then turned to the girl.

    "May I have your name?" He spoke, startling her.

    "I am Tauriel. You are Legolas, correct?" She questioned. Her voice was quiet, but firm. She spoke with the conviction of someone who was confident in their every word. Legolas felt the urge to keep her speaking, to listen to her as long as he possibly could.

    "Yes. If I may ask, I saw someone carrying your things. A bow was amongst these items. It is yours?' Legolas asked.

    "My father's." She said. Tauriel flushed at her mistake. "Or, rather, mine now, I suppose."

    "It is a fine weapon. I am sure that your skill will serve it justice. Do you wish to pursue the art of fighting?" Legolas asked. She nodded vigorously. "I will be your instructor, then. Walk with me, if you please." He requested, making his way towards the doors. Legolas led Tauriel through the passages that led to the chambers of the royals in Mirkwood. 

    "These are my chambers," Legolas told Tauriel, pointing towards one door as the pair passed it. "I am seldom there, but if you do find that I am inside, your company would be welcome." 

    "Thank you." She said. He couldn't help but notice that her eyes widened slightly when he had spoken. He led her to the set of chambers two doors down from his own. 

    "These chambers are yours. I hope you will find everything satisfactory." He said as he opened the door. Tauriel stepped inside first. Legolas watched from the door as she explored. She appeared to enjoy the room.

    "This is wonderful, my Lord Legolas." She said with a smile, coming back to him. He stiffened at the formality. It sounded wrong, coming from her lips. Choosing the best words he could find, Legolas returned the smile.

    "I am glad you think so, my Lady." He said. She did not appear to enjoy formalities, either. "Good night." He said, stepping outside and closing the door behind him. Legolas then went to find his father.

-+-+-+-

    "Why is she different, Legolas?" Thranduil asked the moment Legolas entered his chambers. Legolas looked as if he'd been slapped.

    "I said she was pleasing for the eye, and nothing more, father. She is not different." He said. Thranduil sighed.

    "You did not express any such desire for any of the other ladies in this kingdom." Thranduil commented. It pained him to think that Legolas, who had completed his growth and was at his prime, was still without a partner.

    "I have no desire for her either. You asked me to assess her appearance. I did." Legolas stated, visibly becoming exasperated.

    "Do you hold no feelings for women?" Thranduil asked. Legolas made an aggravated noise.

    "Finding a partner is not a concern of mine at this time, father. I would rather hunt or read then search for a mate." Legolas replied.

    "Do you want no children?" Thranduil probed.

    "Yes, but in due time! I still have many years for those affairs. Assuming I have no purpose here, aside from answering pointless questions, I shall be going." Legolas said. Thranduil sighed and allowed him to leave. Though Legolas was the greatest joy of his life, he was moderately intolerable in times such as these.