2: also beginning: narrator: Julian

So if anyone had told me the apocalypse was starting today I would've packed an extra duffle. 

I was already leaned back precariously on my chemistry lab stool when the earthquake hit; therefore I hit the floor with a hardy crash.

The only thing that kept me from a massive concussion was probably the fact that I was still wearing my backpack just to spite Mr Owens. The bag forcefully knocked the air out of my lungs, and, for the next few minutes, amid the pandemonium, I was curled on the floor gasping like a displaced fish.

When I finally figured out how to breathe again, I sat up dizzily to find the classroom empty. 

Backpacks and duffle bags littered the floor. Even Mr Owens had gone. One of the two whiteboards had fallen down. The other dangled crookedly advertising the molecular formulas for aluminum and formaldehyde or some shit, I don't fucking know.

Anyway, I kept my backpack on (because I'm not an IDIOT) and staggered into the hallway to take stock of the situation. 

Even more bags and lunch boxes lined the walls in topsy-turvy format. Locker doors hung open, and random papers were scattered everywhere. It was like that one scene in Mean Girls except no people or humor.

Oh, wait, there was one person.

A girl with brown hair sprawled on the floor at the far end by the maintenance closet. She was propped up against the wall in a sitting position but otherwise she was completely limp. 

To be honest I thought she was dead for a moment until I realized that she was watching me.