Chapter 9: New Event, Another way to get closer to him!

The next (final) round of the quiz bee competition is schedule after the midterm exam which is a week before the Christmas break. So that will be six weeks after the semi-final round.

We can relax for a while especially for students who have participated in the competition.

Meanwhile, halloween is coming soon! The school recently announced a carnival event for that occasion. The activities will be organized and headed by the senior students. Junior students are encourage to volunteer and assist for the event. Volunteers will be given extra credits; they will be excused from their class if they need to attend the activities before and during the event and as a reward, they will become an automatic member of the most prestigious organization of the school next year- that is the Senior High Club.

My friends and I volunteer for the event. I join because I want to be part of the senior high club next year and to be with my friends too so it will be fun for all of us. All right, I must admit maybe this will also be my chance to see Gilbert a lot and should also be my way to get closer with him. Well, I thought it will be easy and fun but I didn't realize something is waiting for me. And that is where my life started to be challenging, difficult and experience my worst fear - bullying.

Day 1, everybody receives an invitation to attend the first meeting for the event. The seniors and the volunteers were all introduced for a short introduction and discussed in details the scope of work, schedules, roles, etc. of each of the participants. We were all gathered in one big room. There are more volunteers compare to the seniors who will form part of the committee of the said event. Seniors introduced themselves; Gilbert is part of the committee and the last person who introduce himself. Of course he has a lot of fans from the volunteers so they were all excited to see him. He discusses about the activities and the role of every volunteer and their assignment to the event.

The leader of the committee - Adam emphasizes that it is important that the volunteers should follow their seniors at all times. Every senior will be assigned at least 4 volunteers under his/her supervision. And they will evaluate and score the volunteers for their time and effort spent in the event and will later make a recommendation to be part of the Senior High Organization next year. So this will not be just a volunteer work but also a test and training for the junior volunteers to be part of the prestigious organization.

One of the agenda of the meeting is to assign the volunteers to their respective senior officers to the activities. I was assigned with 3 other volunteers namely Cleo, Marvin and Marcelo. Although, we are all from the same class but I we are not very close. But during the preparation for the event, I realize that I am lucky to be part of the group because they were all nice, funny, easy going and we became all close. Our group was assigned to Adam who is the leader of the committee.

Our task is to shadow the senior's leader work. We will do the coordination and communication of the entire activities among the group, the campus administration, teachers and staff. We will do paperwork and administrative duties in behalf of the senior's leader. We are expected to regularly communicate with Adam about the progress of the event. Provide feedback for any issues and concerns relative to the event. It seems an ideal tasks but I never realized it could be very difficult especially when it comes to people management.