Chapter 13: Safer with Him

The next day, my friends and I came altogether in the senior's club office. They want us all to go together because they don't want me to get left out again and avoid what happen to me these past few days. Adam is already in the office with other officers. Today, he does not have any special task for our group so he asks the other seniors if they need any help with their assignment for the event. Officers will be taking one of us to help them. The officers randomly select us except for one officer who specially requested me from Adam and that officer is Marivic. "Adam, I want Toni to help me!" she demands. Behind her are Ben and Gabby. Cleo standing next to me whispers "Don't go! I think they have some evil plans for you."

Before Adam says yes to Marivic, a voice from behind loudly says, "Toni will be helping me today. I already spoke to you about it last night, Adam." Everybody turn around and see who is it. It is Gilbert. Adam says, "Ah yes, sorry! Toni will be helping Gilbert until the actual event."

Marivic fiercely looks at Adam and Gllbert while Gabby and Ben raises their eyebrows at me and then they all walk away. Gilbert winks at me and chuckles softly, "Are you ready? Let's go."

Gilbert's role is to promote the event. Since he is very popular and has a fan base in the campus. A little smile, some waves here and there, selfie-photos with the fans and some autograph signing he can surely sell the tickets quickly. Well, my job for him is just to stay besides him and assist him to sell the tickets. Sometimes, we stay in the booth that the club put up for the event or sometimes we go around the campus and to every classroom. As his assistant, I suppose to distribute the tickets, accept and carry any presents he gets from his fans but he would not let me. He let the other volunteers do it for me. He just wants me walk and stay besides him as if I am his first lady. Most of the time he just talks to me although sometimes I could not understand what he is saying because its either we are distracted or interrupted all the time because of his fans.

We sold a lot of tickets for the events and received some cash sponsorships today as well. We surrender and hand over the proceeds to the treasurer of the club. He thanks the team and tells everyone that we are pretty much done our job for today and we all can go home. He asked me to stay though and invited me to grab something to eat in the canteen. While having our snacks, he asked me if I had fun today.

"Yes I did but can I ask you a favor?"

"What is it?" He asks gently.

"Can you please let me do some work because the rest of our group might think that I am given a special treatment."

"You were already doing some work for me already." He disagrees politely.

"Huh, I didn't notice that I am."

"By being with me because I am more having fun right now." He laughs softly.

"Stop teasing me, I don't want your fans to misunderstood me and end up hating me. I think you knew that I just experienced the bullying recently." I bow my head pretending to be feeling sad.

"You don't need to worry about it anymore, you will be with me all the time. You are reserved to me." He holds my hand and tries to comfort me.

"Huh?" Feeling surprise by what he said.

"I mean you have been assigned with me until the event so you wont be experience the bullying anymore." He explains gently.

Despite the assurance, I can still feel that I am not safe. I can feel something is coming up and I don't know when and where it will going to happen?

We continue promoting the event and sell all the tickets. The main objective of the group right now is to get more sponsorship. We go outside the campus and convince the small business shops around to sponsor or make some donation to the Halloween event. Most of the shops are very generous and pledge to sponsor or donate some cash or in kind to the event. They sometimes give us a free snack or drink as well.

One day, Gilbert tells the team to relax and will not do anything but to stay and man the booth. We will still entertain students who want to buy ticket for the event. A student comes to the booth and buys a couple of tickets. After paying and getting the tickets he approaches me and hands me something. It is a box of chocolate. He introduces himself and said he is also a senior student from the other class. His name is David. He offers me a handshake and I politely extend him a handshake as well. I could say David is good looking. He has a fair complexion, straight and brush down hair and I think we are the same height.

"Nice to meet you, hope you will like the chocolate." David says politely.

"Nice to meet you, you don't have to but thank you. That's very kind of you!"

Gilbert is just staring and waits for David to leave before he says something.

"Did he give you that chocolate?" Gilbert sounds irritated.

"Yes!" I said

Without asking my permission he opens the box and starts to eat the chocolate and shares it to everyone.

"Aww, do you want some?" I said.

He keeps on chewing the chocolate in his mouth and said, "Don't eat too much chocolate, it is not good for your teeth!" And then I said, "Whatever!"

We finished all the activities today and the team goes back to the office to get their stuff and leaves immediately. I went back to the office alone and plans to get my bag too and leaves as quickly as possible. Gilbert saw me and said, "What's in a hurry?" I said, "I just need to get home because I still need to study." He said, "Don't you want to have a snack first?" I said, "I am fine I will see you tomorrow." And then he asked me, "Are you upset with me?" I said, "Huh? What should I be upset with you about?" He said, "Because I ate the chocolate your admirer gave you." I said, "Don't worry about it I was planning to share it with everybody anyway." He said, "Sorry I don't mean to be rude, can I please make it up to you?" I said, "I will think about it, I will let you know tomorrow." And I walk away,