Chapter 4

Happiness. That's what Nicki felt when she saw Drake. He talked to gently, wasn't full of himself and there was no reason to hide with him. They joked around the whole night on set with Usher. They went to 7/11 with Sherika and laughed the whole time. She felt whole again and at the end of the night, Nicki told Drake everything.

"That's how it happened. I don't know what to do with Safaree now," Nicki looked up slowly, hiding her fear.

This was the first time Drake ever heard Nicki had a boyfriend. It tore him up.

"What should I do, Drake," Nicki said.

"I don't know, Nic. You should follow your heart. Nic, on some real shit, I didn't know you were with someone. I wouldn't have been flirting with you or anything if I knew that."

"I should have told you. Baby and Wayne knew because I told them, but--" Nicki was interrupted.

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

Nicki had always known there has been something meaningful between her and Drake. She didn't tell him because she was afraid of the lack of attention Drake would've shown towards her if she told him. She thought he would stop flirting with her and she didn't want that.

"I don't know. You're one of my best friends and it was weird, you know?"

Drake wanted to change the subject. "Yeah. It's getting late. Are we going to the studio?"

"Yeah. I have to change and then we'll go."

They went to the studio and that night she let Drake hear "Only". He was reluctant to lay down a verse, "Uh, I'll contemplate on it after tomorrow, then I'll go to Toronto to record if I feel safe with it, but let me show you a record I already recorded on."

He told Nicki's engineer to insert a disc into the computer and play "All White".

"I love it, babe! But didn't you record this with Tyga?"

"Yeah, I had to get it back. Long story. I can't fuck with that nigga."

"Let me write this verse right now. Do you wanna go back and forth on it?"

"Yeah, let's do it."

"Shit, but I want Wayne to be on another song. Let's do this one with him. Oh, and I like the truffle butter line. We have to make that the title since we won't have a chorus. Did you hear my new song, Anaconda?"

"No, let's hear."

Drake loved the song and asked if she was doing a music video.

"I am. Come tomorrow. Do you want to do the lapdance scene with me?"

"Hell yeah."

The night ended and Drake asked a question as he walked Nicki and Sherika to the White Rolls Royce, "Tonight. Did you realize something?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want to be with me? Leave Safaree and us be low-key? What I'm asking is, Do you love me?"

"Drake..." Nicki's looked to ground with sadness.

"Listen, I know you gotta lot of stuff going on right now, but I need to hear it from you. Can you answer me?"

"I....I don't love you Drake. I have a fiancé." She lifted her head and one tear fell from her eye. She lied.

"Good night. See you tomorrow."

Nicki wiped a tear. "Wait. Drake wait."

She ran to him and said, "Why are you always so goddamn persistent?"

"Because I think I'm ready."

"Let's see."

Nicki walked away leaving Drake speechless. She didn't mean that. She needed proof. What would happen if she falls in love and he cuts her loose? She knew Drake was a heart breaker and didn't need to be broken again.

Excerpts from "I Lied" by Nicki Minaj.