Chapter 4: The Start of Something

26, 27, 28... She counted in her eyed head, staring contently at the screen. 34, 35. Suddenly, a ding sprung out of the speakers, followed by a text notification. Needle's heart did a little skip. 36 seconds was a new record. Then she noticed the sender.

It was Snowball, of all people. Needle's heart went dark. The one who used to beat everyone up in high school, then followed that up by turning his "talent" into a profession by becoming a heavyweight wrestling champion. Which wasn't hard, since there were no other wrestlers in the league.

Why would he message me, of all objects? Better yet, how does he even have my number? Needle thought about it for a second, then remembered. She had put her phone number in her yearbook bio, all those years ago. Just, the number was meant for someone other than Snowball. The person Needle was hoping to receive a message from.

She was still confused as to why Snowball would message her. Maybe he was organizing a Yoyle High sports team reunion? She had been on the Track & Field team back then. 

"Might as well check the text," Needle mumbled to herself from her room up on the Yoyle Needy. 

It read: "Want to meet up for coffee at Pin's Bakery this afternoon?"

Needle was confused. Why would a jock want to hang out with her, the over-privileged daughter of the man who had build the gigantic tower in Yoyle City? Is he interested in me? No, that seems unlikely. She thought about it, and then remembered what her dad had planned for her to do that day. Going out would be the perfect excuse to avoid another etiquette lesson.

"Sure, that sounds nice. I'll meet you there at 2," she quickly typed up.

Just as she was about to hit the send key, another message popped up. Needle read the name. Her heart did that skip thing again. It always did when Coiny replied to her.

She rapidly changed her response to a "Let me think about it", before checking on what Coiny sent to her.

"You're asking me out for lunch? Eh, I've got nothing better to do, sure. See you at 12, I guess." Needle read, emphasizing each word as if the world depended on it. 

Letting out a yelp of glee, Needle ran out of her perfectly immaculate room. She made a mental note of all the things she'd have to do before her date that night. However, when she opened the door, the person she hated the most was standing right there.

"It's a little early for leaving, don't you think?" A tall slim figure asserted.

Needle was shocked. Usually he'd already be on his daily jogs. Her mind raced to find a suitable response to the intimidating man.

"Oh, good morning Dad! Listen, I've got some things planned today, so if you would excuse me, I really should be going," Needle coolly replied. "In fact, you should be on your way too, Dad! Exercise is important in maintaining health," she added.

"Don't act so sly with me, young lady. I know that you're going to see that incoherent ruffian, Caney or whatever his name is,"

"It's Coiny," Needle interjected.

"Same thing. Nonetheless, I am expecting you to make better decisions when choosing who to associate with. You are my daughter, after all."

"So what? All I am to you is a bargaining tool, something for you to gain your fame! I should be able to decide what I want and who I want to hang out with myself!" Needle yelled, pushing aside her father and storming down the hall to the elevator.

It was all to common to her. If anything, Needle had learned to just ignore it and move on with her life. She called for the lift, while the sounds of Mr. Needy's rambling (or as he'd like to call it "passionate and fiery speech") went on in the background. She sighed, hoping for the day when her dad would accept her as a living object, rather than a tool