Chapter 14: Never Enter Strange Vans

"And... it's done!" 

Pen leaned back in the chair, nearly tipping it over. Long chains of white figures lined the black screen. It didn't seem very grand, particularly when it took over a month to perfect, but those lines weren't just words, They were code, and nobody was more satisfied with the fact than him.

The thing was, he didn't really know what to do with it. When Pen first began, he had the intention to hack into the Yoyle Needy and use it as a giant radio tower to do whatever. About a week in it seemed like a really dumb idea but by then he was so into it that quitting wouldn't be worth it.

Ben sat there, considering his options; there weren't that many options.

"What oire yoi doing?" A voice behind him asked.

"Wh- oh, it's you," Pen sighed. "I was just finishing up a script I had been writing."

"Loik a movie scoipt?" 

"No, Bubble. It's a computer script. Now would you kindly leave me alone for a bit?"

The fragile capsule of air instantly moved away, allowing Pen to sink back into his not very deep thought. After a lengthy and complex thinking session, he still had nothing. Well, not nothing. Just a month's long work that resulted in a product he had no way of using.

It wasn't even the first time something like that had happened. He had numerous programs just resting inert on the hard drive, all having a distinct purpose that was never fulfilled. At one point, the increasing inventory of meaningless files stopped bothering him. That point was also the same time he deemed software engineering as a serious job.

Disregarding the issue at hand, Pen decided to scroll through his favourite online social interactive media platform, like what most people do when they're bored. There was the usual stuff, some memes, artwork, celebrity photos. The news of the yoyleberries did startle him, but it was nothing concerning. 

"Uh, we're going out for some dinner. Are you coming?" Pencil told, tapping on his shoulder.

He suddenly realized how starved he was, after barely eating for the entire day.

"Dinner? Sounds amazing!" 

"Yeah, I assumed so. I'll go and get the supervan started."

She headed down the steps, humming a tune he didn't realize. Whatever had happened to his boss during the coding session had clearly left her feeling bubbly.

Speaking of bubbles, the one he had so rudely swatted away was standing by the front door, along with that Match person. Similar to Pencil, the red-head was also looking joyous. 

"Aren't you guys going to head out?" Pen wondered.

Match's expression flipped, slapping Pen in the face. "We're girls! Plus, I was, like, waiting for Pence-Pence."

"Who's Pence-Pence?" 

She scowled, "None of your, like, business! Now go before, like, I get really angry at you."

Pen, not wanting to get slapped again, did as he was told. The sky was deep, like spilled ink. The moon was blazing brilliantly, and large enough for him to see the craters. Stars saturated the black canvas, more than he had ever seen from the bustling core of the city. 

"Are you going to come or what?" Pencil impatiently demanded.

He turned to see the blinding beams of the supervan, epilepsy trigger and all. It's going to be a long night, he told himself.

<========>

After a worryingly short and bumpy ride, the supervan pulled into a small parking lot next to the very place that Pen had been that morning, Leafy's Diner. The windows were dim, however, and the place appeared to be closed. It was already past 10, after all.

"Isn't this place closed?" Pen noted.

Pencil turned to face him, donning a mischievous smile.

"Technically, yes. But I have my methods. Just wait and see."

Everyone got off the supervan, with Match and Pencil heading toward the staff door. Pen's brain swarmed with the possibilities of what he was being led into. A robbery? Drug deal? Tax evasion!? He considered skedaddling but realized he was too far in, and too late.

Time appeared to slow down as Pencil knocked on the steel door. The pounds synchronized with his heartbeat, getting louder and louder. The sound of footsteps came in from the other side, closer and closer.

Then, the footsteps stopped. Pencil backed away from the door, followed by Match. Slow clicks from the lock were the only hints of life Pen still had, boiling over with adrenaline and anticipation. His fight-or-flight instincts kicked in, although heavily leaning toward the flight option. As soon as that door opened, he was ready to bolt.

The gate slung open with a stiff groan, flooding the lot with a ghostly luminance. Most importantly, though, an object stood in the frame. Whoever it was, they looked just as scared and broken as Pen did.

"Hello, Ice Cube. I assume you have everything ready?" Pencil shot.