Chapter 10: Business Proposals with Balls

"What do you mean by terribly wrong?" Tennis Ball asked. "I mean, it's just dirt. Nothing could possibly be that bad! Could it?"

Golf Ball was still in disbelief. How could TB act so reckless at a time like that? She looked back at the report, wishing that it had been false. She tried to ignore it, but the facts were right there, in big bold letters.

Metal Content - 15%

Metal Type - Unidentified

It was too high. Way too high. Alright, Golf Ball, you can figure this out. No need to get overworked about it. 

"Hey, Golf Ball, what's the problem, exactly!?" TB yelled, snapping her out of thought.

 "I don't know. The readings still can't tell, but whatever it is, it's not good."

"What do you mean?"

"Something, or someone, has caused the metal levels in the soil to skyrocket."

"And?"

"TB! How ignorant are you? Such a change could result in unexpected consequences?"

"Well, SORRY for not guessing that right away."

Golf Ball was still fuming at her friend's complete ignorance for the scientific method, when an alarm rocked the room.

"Incoming message from Yoyleberries United," the speakers blared.

"Excuse me," Golf Ball mumbled, walking to the phone.

What could Mr. Needy want with me? She considered as she made her way to the message system. They hadn't been on the best of terms, ever since the unfortunate incident a while back. And to top it all off, Mr. Needy was not the kind of guy to request anything in the first place.

The silver box was built at the height of GB, outfitted with a massive red light that probably caused blindness in most people, and an antennae. They didn't serve much purpose, it was all mostly for decoration. After all, why would anyone need a puny metal stick when you could build a massive space pole instead?

She pressed the button, and a scratchy intercom voice filled the speakers.

"Ms. Ball, I need you to come this instant to my office. There's been a problem regarding the Yoyleberries, and I need your help. Plus, if you do, I'll be willing to pay you back for the incident."

Golf Ball grumbled. She didn't want to help the shrewd businessman, but she really needed the money. Building the massive soil analyzer had drained away most of that quarter's budget, and she wasn't ready to spend the next three months eating instant noodles. Plus, maybe it could shed some light onto the metallic soil thing.

"TB, how do you feel about another trip?" She smirked.

<=======>

Yoyleberries United, like most buildings in downtown Yoyle City, was a skyscraper painted in some questionable color. Unlike most other buildings, however, this one held actual significance. It was, after all, the headquarters of the most powerful corporation in Yoyleland, possibly all of Goiky. Maybe even the world.

Golf Ball had always felt slightly uncomfortable when she went in there. It presented an strange air of superiority, as if the tower was asserting dominance over her. It felt like the building was controlling her. Usually, she'd be the one doing the controlling, not the other way around. She wanted to feel like the boss.

A tired, but professional looking intern walked, or rather, flew up to them as they entered the lobby, decked out like a fancy hotel. Symbols of the company were everywhere, embezzled with gold and marble.