Chapter 6: Discoveries

"You know, when I suggested that we go for breakfast I was expecting to actually eat at the restaurant," TB complained with a bag of food in his lap.

"Yes, that was before I saw that it was nearly 10!" Golf Ball spat back, "Think of all the lost time we could be spending on researching and building gadgets!"

They sat patiently in the small, windowless capsule as it sped back to the factory. Golf Ball's mind was buzzing with ideas and things to create, but first she would have to clean up the mess from that morning. It wouldn't be easy, since she was still hurt from falling off that giant tower. 

At least I have Tennis Ball to help me, she thought. They had been friends ever since elementary school, and eventually when she built the underground factory, he had been the only one who volunteered to follow her in her never ending quest for scientific knowledge. That being said, Golf Ball did pay her coworker.

But what if we were more than coworkers... She shook the idea out of her mind. GB always perceived romantic relationships as nothing more than an obstacle. A distraction from work. TB had always regarded their relationship as nothing more than platonic. and  she liked it that way. Just two friends spending their lives underground in a concrete bunker.

"Hey Golf Ball, we're here!" Tennis Ball exclaimed, waving his foot in front of her face.

She was suddenly snapped out of her thought trance. "Oh, sorry. Let's go."

The lime sphere seemed to not notice her lost in her mind, or maybe he noticed it so often that he just ignored it. They got out of the white cabin, back into the factory, the door sliding closed behind them. Maybe it was due to the fact that she was so focused on saving Tennis Ball, but it was only apparent then did she realize how bad the damage had been from earlier.

The soil analyzing machine she had spent so long building was in pieces. It appeared that an overage in air pressure had caused a tank to rupture, which resulted in all the contents spilling out. Just her luck that the tank that blew up held the hydrochloride acid, spraying the corrosive contents everywhere, even damaging the control consoles.

"This is going to take WEEKS to clean up!" She screeched. "And I was so close to finishing the experiment."

TB walked over to her with a confident smile on his face. "Actually, we might be able to salvage this, as long as you are able to retrieve the sample."

"Don't get my hopes up," she grumbled.

"Just wait for a moment."

What is that fuzz brain doing now?  She wondered as he ran into his office. TB had done some pretty impressive things before, but how could he manage to fix all the damage right then and there? He was after all, clumsy. Golf Ball stared at the entrance to his room until the familiar figure came back out, wheeling a massive cart with something that resembled a scaled down version of the soil analysis machine (pre-destruction).

"Introducing: The DirtBot Mini!" he exclaimed, proudly showing off the invention. "Um, the name's still a work in progress."

Golf Ball was skeptical. How could such a small device accomplish even half of what the bigger counterpart could?

"What is it exactly?" she inquired.

"Essentially, I got bored while you were building the bigger DirtBot-"

"Please don't call it the DirtBot, it makes it sound like a off-brand Roomba."

"Uh, okay? Anyways, I was observing you while you were building the-"

"You were stalking me?"

"What? No! I was just doing some observation! And could you please stop interrupting me."