Chapter Six: The Girl in the Garden

Song-(Louis Armstrong~What A Wonderful World)

I still haven't talked to Rosemary in I don't know how long. I have tried, and tried, and tried! I just can't get through to her! Oh well, I guess. I go on with my days, proving to Mr. Rocture my worth and doing my best.

Mr. Rocture has been cutting me slack and even striking casual conversations with me. It feels weird because any time we have ever really talked was when I was getting lectured on my tardiness or work ethic, but I have strived to do better. By doing so I have noticed the changes in my team leader's actions towards me. My sister has even seen a change in me, as she puts it.

Today happens to be the sixty-sixth birthday of one of our cooks, and a dear friend of my dad's, Anemone Dilly.

This sweet old lady has been our head cook for forty-eight years. She didn't start as the head cook though. She has progressed into one of the best cooks in probably Vault 672's history. Her sweet apple pies, lemon tarts, watermelon-fruit-filled bowls, are some of my favorite snacks she has ever made in my opinion. We have a butcher who only gives her the best of the stock because she knows how to cook amazing meatloaf, roast beef, burgers, just anything you can think of!

I show up to work with my invite to the birthday party and Mr. Rocture lets me have the day off. Isabella and I got personally invited because Anemone was like our grandmother in a way. She treated our dad like her own and did the same with us.

Anemone never had a family of her own. She never married or brought kids into the world. I believe I remember hearing that her mother died while giving birth and her father died of depression shortly after, so she was adopted into a new family. Then again, that's all gossip, probably from some other person her age she grew up with spreading rumors.

We're in a large room specific to holding birthdays. Anemone has a special robot, a Mister Handy Robot, who is helping Anemone with cutting her cake, opening presents, and such.

The robot's name is Al and was made by the pre-war companies called Atomics International, and RobCo Industries. Several were issued out to our Vault but only the 'wealthy' families who came into the vault could have one. Hers was passed down from generation to generation and so on by her 'adopted' family.

 Hers was passed down from generation to generation and so on by her 'adopted' family

Al loves to crack jokes. His accent is a little hard to understand but Anemone says he needs to be updated because he's old. Yet it has been a lost art within the vault. The only one who truly takes care of their Mister Handy is Anemone.

Al is currently making jokes causing Anemone and my sister to laugh, he's even telling stories about when Anemone was a child. I sit at a table and look around. I see a few older people she grew up with and their families. They're all smiling and laughing, having a good time. Many come up to Anemone and congratulate her. She takes them sweetly.